RESPONDING TO THE CALL OF GOD. (Homily for TUESDAY of the 20th Week in Ordinary Time, Year B. 2015)

Bible Study: Judges 6:11-24. / Matthew 19:23-30.


After the young man left the presence of Jesus in sadness, as we read in yesterday’s Gospel passage, Jesus himself was disappointed in him because he trusted more in his wealth than in God to secure his life.

Just like Gideon of whom we read about in our first reading today, God was calling this young man and the call of God comes in different ways. While Gideon’s call was rather dramatic, the call of the rich young man came by placing within him a strong desire to engage Jesus in a conversation.

This young man would have went his way without ever seeking audience with Jesus but something was pulling him to ask Jesus about eternal salvation and the moment he did that, Jesus granted him an open ticket: “Go, sell all you have, give the money to the poor, then come follow me.” He would have been the thirteenth disciple but he turned down the call.

I may be wrong about what I am about to say now but I strongly feel it is true. All through my days in the seminary, one question that never left my mind was: “How come God does not call the children of the rich?” I once surveyed as many people as I could and discovered that over ninety per cent of people who enter seminary were from average or poor families. None of us had parents who were multi-billionaires so to say and I also noticed that most of the wealthiest seminarians who could afford the greatest luxuries in life did not make it through due to one problem or another.

Even when at times I encourage parents to allow their children go to the seminary or enter religious life, I notice that the very wealthy ones tend to respond by saying: “God forbid” while the less wealthy ones are more than happy to see it as a confirmation of divine call.

Virtually all the Saints who were from very wealthy families had to abandon their wealth in other to pursue religious life. Some of them even got disowned by their parents who saw them as out of their minds.

Gideon in our first reading today says of himself: “Behold my clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family.” He could not understand why God was referring to him as a mighty man of valour. Gideon’s attitude was one of little trust in himself or his possessions, he did not consider himself secured by what he had, his meekness endeared him to God.

It is not the case that God does not call the wealthy. God continues to call people every day. The problem is that those who trust in their riches, those who see themselves as having it all, those who place their security in riches find it harder to hear the call of God. Hence Jesus said: “How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

Note that, Jesus is not saying, rich people will not go to heaven. Wealth and riches are relative terms. I may see myself as poor because I can’t afford to buy a new shirt, but my neighbour may see me as rich because even my worn-out shirt is better than his own. It is one thing to be wealthy but not see yourself as wealthy, such a person does not look for security in what he has because he does not believe he has everything.

Jesus is talking here about people who know they have the best of everything life has to offer and believe that what they have is capable of granting them salvation, such that they can boldly say they do not need God and you find such persons in very developed societies such as in America for instance. The question they ask when you try to talk to them is: “What do I need God for?” You will agree with me that should the Nigerian economy improve, the number of people going to church now may drastically reduce and if for instance, one were to offer a 6-digit salary figure to every pastor, very many of these mushroom churches springing up here and there today will close down.

You may be wealthy but as long as you do not allow your wealth to replace your need for God, as far as you are willing to let go of what you have so as to give time and resources to the work of spreading God’s kingdom, your wealth is not an obstacle. Peter was rich before meeting Jesus but hear what he said in today’s Gospel passage: “We have given up everything and followed you. What will there be for us?”


Let us pray:
Lord Jesus, grant me the grace to place my trust in you more than in my possession so that what I have may not be an obstacle to my eternal salvation. Amen.


Good morning. Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. God bless you. Please pray for me as I mark my 3rd year anniversary as a priest today.

No comments:

Post a Comment