WHAT DO YOU DESIRE MOST IN LIFE AND HOW MUCH ARE YOU WILLING TO PAY FOR IT?. (Homily for MONDAY of the 20th Week in Ordinary Time, Year B. 2015)

Bible Study: Judges 2:11-19. / Matthew 19:16-22.

Today’s readings call for a sincere examination of conscience on the part of each and every one of us. What are my greatest aspirations in life? What is that which I treasure most for which I am prepared even to die so that I do not lose it? Who or what do I really worship and treat with the greatest degree of care and reverence?

In the first reading, the book of Judges summarizes the life of the Israelites as a nation soaked in idolatry. Very much like us Christians today, they only pretended to be worshipping God when their hearts were very far from him. Each time, they went after other gods, God’s anger blazed upon them and he allowed them experience disaster. In the face of disaster, they would remember God again but not long after they get some relief, they would relapse back into their old ways again. God gave them judges but their spirituality only lasted while the judge was still with them, it was a spirituality of “NOTICE-ME.”

In the Gospel passage, we see a rich young man who felt he was a good person just like most of us do, we can even beat our chest before Jesus to say we are not sinners, we have been keeping the commandments since we were in our mothers’ wombs but we fail to realise that beneath our external show of religiosity, we have made a god of our material possessions. We keep the commandments because of the benefits contained therein but we are not prepared to allow God take centre stage in our hearts.

How many of us today still aspire only to become Saints? How many of us are prepared to let go of all our possessions just to grow higher in our spiritual life? How many of us would continue to serve God if it so happens that we stand to gain nothing by so doing? How many of us pastors and ministers like me would still go to Church if there were no more tithes and offerings, no more luxuries of any sort, no more shows that promote self-aggrandizement or worship from our people? Have you noticed how people stop attending meetings the moment they no longer hold positions?

We have a lot of gods that compete for our attention daily such as our priced possessions: our bank accounts, houses, cars, clothes, even things as little as our looks, or our phones. And we never know how much value we place on these things until we lose them and we then begin to feel like our very life has been snuffed out. Yet, we do not feel that way when we miss our prayers or devotions. We don’t feel bad when we miss church or fail to say our rosary daily but we feel like our world is crumbling down when we do not receive a particular alert we are expecting. We are not concerned whether or not we have read the Bible in a day but we are up to date with every single happening in the life of our celebrities, actors, musicians, footballers etc. we want to know the latest about them and even the most nasty things they do make headlines but we do not care to know about the lives of the Saints! We complain that a homily like this very one is too long, but we don’t mind finishing a romance novel of over 300 pages containing explicit scenes within a single seating.

It is sad that we worship idols without even knowing. It is sad that we are holding on too tightly to things that are not needed for eternal life. It is sad that we do not even know what we want in life; while our lips claim we desire God most, our actions reveal we desire luxury, abundant wealth and popularity.

The young man went away sad! What is the cause of the widespread unhappiness in the world today? Why are people even in developed nations committing suicide? Why are people who you think have everything going well for them still suffer from depression?

Why am I unhappy despite all the things I have? Am I walking away from Jesus because of my attachment to things forgetting that “Naked I came to this world, and naked I will depart”? Am I unhappy because I still seek fulfilment and satisfaction in a god I have created? Or am I unhappy because I have allowed the anger of God to fire me with disaster because of my refusal to give him the due honour and respect that rightfully belongs to him?

Let us pray:
Lord Jesus, it is you I need. Help me to realise that you alone are enough. Help me to drop my self-created gods and worship you alone. Give me a heart of charity to share with the poor and needy rather than hoard things I will never need. Amen.


Good morning. Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. God bless you. Happy new week.

No comments:

Post a Comment