TAKE COURAGE, NOTHING GOOD COMES EASY. (Homily for FRIDAY of the 25TH Week in Ordinary Time, Year B).

Bible Study:  Haggai 2, 1 to 9 and Luke 9, 18 to 22.

It is precisely when things becomes most difficult that we must push forward. And what keeps us going is courage.  When you begin a race, a journey or perhaps a new virtue, it is usually sweet and interesting but as you get along, it soon gets extremely difficult and you feel left with no other option but to give up completely. The truth is that it is precisely when things get most difficult that you become closest to victory. Courage is what will get you your long awaited victory. Courage is what will give you the crown, courage will earn you a new life.

I remember when I started sending out daily homilies on this platform around August last year. At first, it was easy and interesting but as time went on, I discovered I had put myself in trouble; there was no going back! Many times, I felt like giving up as it was consuming much of my time and energy but COURAGE kept me going. Today, this cross has become part of me.

Addressing the leaders and people of Israel, Haggai in today’s first reading calls for this great virtue of courage: “Yet now TAKE COURAGE, O Zerubbabel, says the Lord; TAKE COURAGE, O Joshua, son of Jehozadak, the high priest; TAKE COURAGE, all you people of the land, says the LORD; work, for I am with you, says the LORD of hosts, according to the promise that I made you when you came out of Egypt. My Spirit abides among you; FEAR NOT. For thus says the LORD of hosts: Once again, in a little while, I will shake the heavens and the earth and the sea and the dry land. Haggai 2:4-6.

The beauty of being alive is that your situation is not yet hopeless. Courage is a virtue that is only inaccessible to dead people.

Just know that the journey to success in life as well the journey to heaven is meant to be DIFFICULT. There must be hurdles along the way, there must be sacrifices and tough choices to be made. Jesus sums it all up in today’s Gospel passage when he said: “The Son of man must SUFFER many things, and be REJECTED by the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be KILLED, and on the third day be RAISED.” Luke 9:23. 

Let us pray:
Lord Jesus my big brother, help me to gain wisdom in the fact that the darkest part of the night comes just before the dawn. Grant me the grace of Courage especially when it matters most. Amen.


Good morning. Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment