THE STRENGTH OF A MOTHER’S LOVE. (Homily for TUESDAY of the 24TH Week in Ordinary Time, Memorial of Our Lady of Sorrows.)

Bible Study:  Timothy 3:1-13 and Luke 7:11-17. Or Hebrews 5:7-9 and John 19:25-27.


Since we celebrated the feast of the Exaltation of the Cross yesterday, it naturally follows that today, we also celebrate the memorial of that woman who stood at the feet of the Cross sharing in her Son’s passion.

Sometime ago, I gave my car to a friend of mine who said he needed to use it to make a trip urgently. From where I was to where he was driving to was about 4 hours in all coming and going. He arranged that he would be spending roughly 2 hours while there meaning I was to expect my car back 6 hours later.

Now, 14 hours had passed and there was no sign of my friend at all. His phone was suddenly switched off and there was just no other contact with which I could reach him since he said he would be travelling all alone. I became as worried as ever. Throughout that night, I couldn’t sleep.

In my mind I was running through a list of a hundred different scenarios of things that could have happened to him, only for me to discover, the following morning, that my car was sitting patiently in the very spot I left it. My friend did not even make the trip at all even though he collected my keys simply because he misplaced his phone and did not think it was wise to still travel without a means of communication. I was almost dying of hypertension and my friend was at home busy looking for his phone.

You know what? That experience taught me a lesson. It made me understand that when anything happens to us, it is those that we are closest to that suffer the greater pain. If Jesus suffered any pain while he was being spat at, insulted, flogged and driven like a beast, Mary must have suffered a double portion of this pain just by watching her only Son go through all that. As we read in the Stations of the Cross Prayer, “It is harder to watch the pains of those we love than to bear our own pains.”

In the Gospel passage, Jesus raises a dead man to life because he could see how much pain the mother of this boy was going through. She was a widow and here was her only son now been carried for burial. There were a lot of people crying but only that of the Mother was enough to capture Jesus’ attention. As we read there, “and when the Lord saw her, he had compassion on her said to her, ‘do not weep.’

In the case of this woman, Jesus saved her from suffering the harsh pain of her only son die, in the case of Mary, there was nobody around to perform such a miracle. She had to watch her only son die before her very eyes. Jesus knew exactly how she was feeling so he said to her: “Woman behold your son” and turning to the beloved disciple, Jesus said, “Behold your mother.”

Our celebration today reminds us that whenever bear sorrows, we are never alone. We not only have Jesus who understands but a dear loving mother as well who knew what pain felt like. She is ever ready to intercede on your behalf just like any good mother would do. This is why we pray the Rosary.

Let us pray:
Lord Jesus, you mother loved you deeply yet you chose to save us by the way of the Cross and allowed a sword pierce her heart, help us to accept suffering in our lives so long as it would lead us closer to our salvation. May Mary, your mother continue to intercede for us daily. Amen.


Good morning. Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment