IS THERE AN EASY TICKET TO HEAVEN? (Homily for April 27, 2016. Wednesday of the 5th Week of Easter)


Bible Study: Acts 15, 1 to 6 and John 15, 1 to 8.


In our first reading this morning, an argument about circumcision arose in the early Christian community. Some men came from Judea and were teaching the brethren, “Unless you are circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved.”

Paul and Barnabas totally disagreed and given the mounting commotion, they had to be sent to Jerusalem which was at that time the headquarters of the church for clarification on this matter.

For these men, circumcision was the only ticket to heaven and as such, if one was not circumcised, no matter how holy he or she may be, there is no chance of salvation. What they failed to realise was that circumcision was nothing more than a sign and not the real deal.

Going back to Genesis 17, 10 to 11, we read: “This is my covenant, which you shall keep, between me and you and your offspring after you: Every male among you shall be circumcised. You shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskins, and IT SHALL BE A SIGN of the covenant between me and you.”

It is funny how we can often become fixated with signposts and forget what they lead to. A sign only indicate the presence of something, it is not the thing itself, it gives direction to a location but it is not the location itself. And the sign of circumcision was meant to indicate an agreement between God and the people of Israel to keep the commandments of God.

Circumcision was a way of marking out the people, it is something that differentiated them from other nations and a permanent reminder in their own bodies that they were not to be like those who do not worship God. At its very best, circumcision was nothing more than a tribal mark. By making circumcision a prerequisite for salvation, these men were completely taking things out of context and more still, undermining what Jesus Christ had done on the Cross.

Do I place more emphasis on signs (external appearances) and forget the actual realities they point to? For instance, do I believe that with the Bible under my pillow, I will be protected from evil even if I never take my time to read it?

In today’s Gospel passage, Jesus simply tells us what he requires of us. Not external circumcision, but inner connection. “Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.  … If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you will, and it shall be done for you. John 15, 4 to 7.  Dear friends, let us strive to be connected to Jesus and daily meditate on his words rather than believe in mere signs and symbols.

Let us pray: Lord Jesus, grant me the grace to abide firmly in you always. Amen.


God bless you. Good morning. Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment