I THANK YOU FATHER. (Homily for July 13, 2016. Wednesday of the 15th week in Ordinary Time.)


Bible Study: Isaiah 10, 5 to 7, 13 to 16 and Matthew 11, 25 to 27.


The story has been told of a man who was taken on an excursion to Heaven. As he walked from room to room, he saw how the Angels were busy with their daily assignments. He entered one room and noticed so many Angels there looking overworked and completely stressed out. So he asked why they had too much work in that room and he was told, this is where the petitions from prayers around the world are processed. Then he entered another room and noticed only one Angel working and it seemed as though there wasn’t even much to do at all. When he asked, he was told, this is the Thanksgiving department.

Today’s Gospel passage contains a prayer that Jesus addressed to the Father. And it is a prayer of thanksgiving. Compared to Jesus’ tone in yesterday’s Gospel passage when he was upbraiding the towns for their refusal to repent, Jesus seems to be in a joyful mood today. He is thanking God for the few who have come to believe, those who have encountered him and are changing their lives. And the Good News dear friends is that, you and I are included among the infants that Jesus is thanking God for.

Jesus gives thanks for me because I have come to know things that were hidden from the wise and understanding. And Jesus is happy for me because I have chosen to believe He is God and I have not allowed the wisdom of the world affect my judgement. Jesus gives thanks for me because I am an infant and as he said, unless one because like a little child, he cannot enter the kingdom of heaven.

As Jesus thanks God for me, I should consider myself privileged. I should not see my Christian faith as a burden but rather an opportunity given to me by God. Yes, I should always see myself as lucky; lucky to know God and be counted among his children; lucky that I can go to mass this morning and receive the body and blood and Jesus; lucky that I can simply walk into the chapel and adore Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament. All these things our fathers of old longed for them but never received any. Imagine all the great men and women we read about in the Old Testament, none of them was privileged to receive Holy Communion. Am I not lucky?

Thanksgiving and happiness go together. They are like fire and smoke. You cannot get one without the other one coming along. Like Jesus, I must consciously look around me for things to be grateful for, for things to say “Thank You” for. The more I give thanks to God, the more I keep seeing more reasons to give thanks and the happier I would become ultimately.

Let us Pray:
Lord Jesus, give me the grace of true contentment that apart from asking all the time, I may learn to give thanks too. Amen

Good morning. Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment