WE ARE NOTHING BUT CLAY. (Homily for July 28, 2016. Thursday of the 17th Week in Ordinary time.)


Bible Study: Jeremiah 18, 1 to 6 and Matthew 13, 47 to 53.


Today, God tells Jeremiah to go to the potter’s house and watch the potter at his job. Then the word of the Lord came to Jeremiah saying: “O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter has done? Behold, like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand.” For God to define us as clay is quite humbling yet it is so true.

The colour of clay is brown. Brown is definitely not a beautiful colour so it tells me how down to earth I should be. I should not raise myself too high because my true colour is the colour of the ground. As clay is decorated and painted with different colours, my titles, my degrees, my experience, my house, my family, my accomplishments and all these things I take pride in are mere decorations. I should not mistake them for who I am. The real me is what lies behind these decorations and my real colour is brown.

Clay is usually soft while it is being moulded but once it dries and hardens, it can no longer be shaped. It only breaks. The best part of the life of any piece of clay is when it is in the hands of the potter, when the potter handles it with care and delicacy. As long as the clay remains soft, it can be shaped into anything that comes to the mind of the potter. If I really want God to use me, if I want his will to be done in my life, then I must remain soft. I must not allow life’s challenges harden me or harden my heart from learning, from loving or from change.

As clay, I must be open at all times to change for good or become moulded into something else whenever God, the potter so pleases. My best days are ahead. I am yet to accomplish my full potentials. I must not reach any conclusions about myself or my destiny since I am still in the hands of the potter. The day I die is the day I will leave the potter’s hands, then and then only will you know what God did with me. The day I die is the day I will know what shape I took; whether as a clay pot, a flower vase or just a work of art.

No matter how long clay may last, it must surely return to its origin; back to the ground from which it was gotten. No matter what I achieve in life, I must one day return to where I came from. I must return to God. And as Jesus points out in the Gospel passage, I will be sorted out like fishermen sort out fish and based on my value, I would either be accepted in God’s presence or be thrown out.

The way I live my life right now determines my value and each time I perform an act of righteousness or refrain from committing a sin, I add to that value. Like a fish I grow bigger when I eat the right food; the word of God and allow it to digest in my body by putting the word of God into practice. I also add value to myself by the acts of kindness and mercy I show to others.

Again from the parable of Jesus, I see that on the last day, when the fisherman will harvest the fishes, they will not be of equal sizes, some will be big and others would be very small. When I look at the church today, I see that we are not all of the same size as far as faith and morals are concerned. This is the reason why the church is not composed of both saints and sinners; the saints being the big fishes and the sinners being the small ones. There is no such thing as a perfect church where everyone is a saint. So long as we are humans, there will always be big fishes and small ones.

Therefore, I should not be surprised when people do not live up to expectations or do the right things. In fact, it my duty to encourage the small ones to grow rather than trample on them or make them feel insignificant, unwanted and unnecessary.

Let us Pray:
Lord God, help me to remain soft and humble in your hands as I prepare for harvest time. Amen.

Good morning. Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. God bless you.

Fr. Abu.


No comments:

Post a Comment