HUMILITY, SELF-WORTH OR PRIDE? (Homily for August 16, 2016. Tuesday of the 20th week in Ordinary Time.)

Bible Study: Ezekiel 28, 1 to 10 and Matthew 19, 23 to 30.

Both our first reading and Gospel passage this morning address the vice of pride head on. God strongly condemns the prince of Tyre for laying claim to being a god when he was nothing but a man. The prince of Tyre obviously saw himself as a god because through his wisdom, he had gathered so much wealth for himself. And in our Gospel passage, Jesus says it will be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.

Why would it be hard for the rich to enter the kingdom of God? Is it the case that God is against riches? No. Abraham was the richest man on earth in his time. After Job’s trials, God restored his riches twice as much as he had before. “The LORD blessed the latter days of Job more than his beginning; and he had fourteen thousand sheep, six thousand camels, a thousand yoke of oxen, and a thousand donkeys.” Job 42, 12. Job must have died a very wealthy man.

Even Solomon, when God asked him for ask for anything and he asked for wisdom, God decided to add riches as well. If God has a problem with being rich, then God will not have made Solomon wealthy. “Because you have asked this… I give you also what you have not asked, both riches and honour all your life; no other king shall compare with you. 1 Kings 3, 11 to 13.  More still, if a man is rich in any way be it in money, in wisdom, in children, in friends of whatever, we believe it is God’s doing. No one can be rich all by himself. Proverbs 10, 22 says: “The blessing of the LORD makes rich, and he adds no sorrow with it.”

So why was God against the prince of Tyre and why did Jesus say it will be hard for the rich to enter the kingdom of heaven? The answer is PRIDE. To be proud is to believe that one has gotten what one has by one’s own strength and power. Pride is taking glory that does not belong to you. Pride is refusing to acknowledge God as the source of all that you have. It is like trying to take the place of God in your own life.

The reason why a proud person cannot enter heaven is because there is only one God in heaven, there cannot be two gods. So having become your own god, you cannot begin to drag recognition with God in heaven. There is no competition in heaven. So, because God knows you are already a god, he would not want you to come into heaven but he would take you to a place where you can be your own god. St. James puts it well when he said: “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” James 4, 6.

So what does it mean to be humble? First it must be noted that humility even though it is the opposite of pride is not the same thing as low self-esteem. To have a low esteem is to believe that there is something innately with oneself. It is a refusal to acknowledge that one has been blessed by God or that one is rich. While pride is knowing that one is rich but refusing to believe that one’s riches came from God, low self-esteem is refusing to believe that one is even rich in the first place. In fact, to have low self-esteem is to doubt the existence of God or to doubt whether God has or is capable of giving anything to you.

Humility is first of all an acknowledgement of one’s riches but at the same time, a deep seated sense of gratitude to God and an awareness that everything one has is a gift of God. You can be rich, indeed very rich and humble at the same time. In that case, you do not see yourself as a god, yet at the same time, you do not deny your riches. Heaven is not hard for such persons.

There is another type of wealth that Jesus encourages in our Gospel passage. It is the riches that we get when we leave everything behind for sake of the kingdom of God. As Jesus puts it: “And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields, for my name's sake, will receive a hundredfold, and will inherit eternal life.” Matthew 19, 29.

Being an only son, I thought I would be doomed when I decided to become a priest but now I see that was not the case. I had only one father before but now I look at my parishioners and I can count more than a hundred men here who would take care of me just as my own father would do. There are more than hundred homes I can enter today and they would receive me like a prince. I used to have just one mother but today, I have so many mothers who love me like their own son. I would have had a career if I had become a priest but when I look at my mates, I realise that by now, I would have been struggling to buy a car or build a house but having left all that, I drive a car today that I did not buy with my money and I live in a house that I did not build. If anything happens to my car today, I am fully sure that in less than a month, I am most likely to get another one. I do not have money in my account but if I want to do anything, there will be people who will gladly do it for me. Is that not wealth?  

Let us pray:
Lord Jesus, purge my pride, help me to remain poor in spirit. Amen

Good morning. Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. God bless you.

Happy anniversary to all priests ordained today and all who are celebrating theirs this very week. Mary, mother of priests, pray for us.

Fr. Abu

No comments:

Post a Comment