EVEN JESUS HIMSELF WAS SURPRISED. (Homily for September 12, 2016. Monday of the 24th Week in Ordinary Time.)

Bible Study: 1st Corinthians 11, 17 to 26, 33 and Luke 7, 1 to 10.
 
The saying is indeed true that you never value what you have because it is yours. We humans have the tendency to value what belongs to others than what is ours already. The grass on your neighbour’s lawn always appears greener than yours. Why? Because seeing it from a distance gives you a better perspective than even your neighbour himself. Though there are many arguments regarding the cause of our present economic crisis in this country, one strong opinion is that we do not value or take time to patronize our “Made in Nigeria” products but we are ready to die for those made abroad.

In the Gospel of John Chapter 1, we read: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God…. He came to what was his own, and his own people did not accept him. But to all who received him, who believed in his name, he gave power to become children of God.

This is exactly what plays out in our Gospel passage this morning. The same Jesus that was rejected by his own people, the same Jesus who was thought of as an ordinary carpenter, the same Jesus who was accused of performing miracles by the power of Beelzebub came in contact with a foreigner, a Roman officer in charge of 100 soldiers and Jesus was marvelled at his great display of faith. He exclaimed: “Not even in Israel have I found such faith.”

The centurion had so much faith in Jesus’ ability that he would not even have him come to his unworthy house. He knew Jesus could just say the word even from a distance and his servant would be cured. This same centurion built a synagogue for the people not simply because he had the money but because he believed in the God of the Jews. Even though he wasn’t attending services or worshiping at the synagogue, his faith already qualified him. Whereas those who were attending the synagogue did not have as much faith in God or in Jesus as this man.

Could it be that I do not value what I have? Could it be that I am working in a soap factory but my body is smelling? Could it be that I do not have as much faith as those who I consider to be unbelievers simply because they do not go to church as much as I do?

Am I like those Corinthians who come to church simply to fill my stomach without a proper understanding or devotion to Jesus present under the appearance of bread and wine? Do I make noise in church, laugh anyhow or drag for position and titles because of my familiarity with the church? Wouldn’t it be a shame if a stranger I invite begins to tell me to keep quiet since I am in a holy place? These are very serious questions I must answer as I meditate today.

Let Us Pray:
Lord Jesus, as we celebrate the Most Holy Name of Mary today, fill our hearts with devotion and Mary’s humility that our faith may be unshaken just like that of the Centurion. Amen.

Good morning. Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. God bless you. Happy new week.


Fr. Abu

No comments:

Post a Comment