I KNOW YOUR WORKS. (Homily for November 14, 2016. Monday of the 33rd week in Ordinary Time.)

Bible Study:  Revelations 1, 1 to 4 and 2, 1 to 5. Luke 18, 35 to 43.


As the year ends, it is not surprising that we are taking our reading from the Last book of the bible; the book of Revelations. This is one book that is not very easy to understand even though its message is very clear. Today, we read from a letter addressed to one the churches; the church of Ephesus.

In it, God speaking through John tells the Ephesians: “I know your works…” Reading through this, it sounds like God telling me personally: “Father, I know you, I know what you are capable of doing, I know the things that even others do not know about you, your secrets, your sins as well as your potentials.” It sounds scary, yet it is just the plain truth. We cannot hide anything from God.

As much as God praised the Ephesians for their good deeds; their patient endurance, their refusal to tolerate evil men as well the hardships they put up with for the sake of God’s name, God still points out their fault. “I have something against you; you have abandoned the love you had at first!”

Can you take your minds to the moment you became a Christian? Do you recall back in the days when your love for God was hotter than fire? Perhaps, the days of your catechism? Do you remember when you gave your life to Christ? I recall the day I made up my mind to go to the seminary. Honestly, can I say that fire is still burning today?

As God speaks to the Ephesians today, God is pointing out to me today to revive the old spirit; to return to the days of innocence; the days of firm determination; the days I would rather have my head cut off than give in to sin. If this is what we desire, then like the blind man who begged for his sight in today’s Gospel passage, we must get down on our kneels and call upon Jesus.

Once upon a time, back in the days of first love, we could see spiritual things, we never let a day pass without the full rosary and some of us even read the whole bible cover to cover, we were so eager for God. But what has happened today? we allowed the pleasures of this world, the vanishing vanities blind our eyes. Now we don’t even know how many books are in the bible or which comes before which, we no longer see visions, we no longer pray in the spirit.

Let us pray that our eyes would be open again. Let us pray that we may return to our first love. Call on Jesus with faith that he who did not refuse sight to the man sitting at the roadside will look with mercy and restore your sight in the spirit.

Let us Pray: Lord Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me! Amen.

Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. God bless you. Happy new week.


Fr. Abu

No comments:

Post a Comment