From Stark Foolishness to Enlightenment.

Homily for April 19, 2017.


The day before yesterday, we read from Matthew’s Gospel, yesterday John gave us his account of what took place on Easter Sunday. Today, we are turning to Luke and he too has his own beautiful story of the events of that Easter Morning.

According to Luke, two disciples embarked on a journey that morning to the village of Emmaus and they were so disappointed with what had just taken place; how Jesus allowed himself to be arrested and killed without calling on the Legions of Angels for assistance.

They were obviously expecting that Jesus would have been a political Messiah – the one who would restore the independence of the Israelite Nation from Roman colonialism. They even heard about the resurrection, how some women said Jesus’ body was no longer in the tomb but this news did not make any sense to them.

These two were probably among the twelve disciples but despite their closeness to Jesus and knowledge of all the teachings of Jesus, they still could not draw any connection with Jesus’ rising from the dead and accomplishing his mission.

Hence Jesus himself called them foolish men. Just like Mary Magdalene who did not recognize Jesus because of her tears, these disciples could not recognize Jesus because their hearts were clouded with disappointment or better put, foolishness!

Yes, for assuming that Jesus would take over earthly power from the Romans, these disciples deserved to be called foolish. For not paying attention to the good news of the resurrection of Jesus even though Jesus himself had predicted his rising from the dead, these disciples were truly foolish.

It is quite clear to me now when my expectations from God bother solely on material things, I am truly foolish. Like lame man who stood at the temple begging for alms from Peter and John, I am foolish when I ask for alms instead of healing. Of course if Peter had given the man alms, he would have remained a beggar but by healing him, his days of begging came to an end.

The two disciples were expecting Roman rule but God was offering Eternal Salvation. Perhaps as close disciples of Jesus, they were probably eyeing some Political Offices; maybe Senate President or Speaker at the House of Reps. Of course, like all political powers, it would not last but God had something better; something that was for eternity.

I am foolish when I ask for the wrong things or place wrong expectations on God. I could be asking for job and more money but God wants me to ask for a deeper relationship with him.

Like these disciples I could be walking away from God and the Great things he has planned for me foolishly simply because of some small things I was expecting from him and I didn’t get. I need to take some time to reflect on how I have walked away from God because he didn’t answer my prayers, how I have stopped going to church, or how I have become angry with God.

Nevertheless, there is a cure for this kind of foolishness. It is getting to understand Scriptures deeper and recognizing Jesus at the Mass. Jesus did not simply call them foolish, he took his time to explain the Scriptures to them. The more I read the bible for myself, the more I will know God better and perhaps the less disappointed I will be with God.

Let us Pray: Lord Jesus, open my eyes to see your hand always in all circumstances of my life. Amen.

Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. God bless you. (Easter Wednesday. Bible Study: Acts 3:1-10 and Luke 24:13-35).


Fr. Abu.

No comments:

Post a Comment