Prayer is a Relationship.

Homily for May 27, 2017.


Recently, I saw a video of a guy who knelt beside his bed to pray in pidgin English. I couldn’t tell if he was trying to entertain his audience or if he was actually talking to Jesus.

Nevertheless one striking characteristic about the way he prayed was that he spoke to Jesus so informally and freely as though Jesus was his immediate elder brother. Dear friends, prayer is more than merely asking. Prayer is relationship.

To pray well is to be in good talking terms with God, it is an act of love. it is not something we run to do each time we are in trouble. Prayer should not be a once in a while affair. We should pray without season.

When we pray, God loves us the more. This is because my bringing ourselves to pray, we prove to God that we believe in him. As Jesus tells us in today’s Gospel passage: “In that day you will ask in my name; and I do not say to you that I shall pray the Father for you; or the Father himself loves you, because you have loved me and have believed that I came from the Father.” John 16:26-27 

Again, the main purpose of prayer is for us to have an increase of joy. When we pray, it is for our own happiness. “Truly, truly, I say to you, if you ask anything of the Father, he will give it to you in my name. Hitherto you have asked nothing in my name; ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.” John 16:23-24.

It is surprising to me how we go in search of happiness everywhere yet we ignore prayer. How do we hope to be happy when we do not have time for prayer? If Jesus himself could promise that prayer would make our joy complete, where else can be find complete happiness if not right on our knees?

Let us rethink our prayer life today. Let us begin to devote more time to prayer because it is more than asking. Prayer is a relationship.

Let us pray: Lord Jesus, may I be fully prepared to receive the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. God bless you. (Saturday after the Ascension of the Lord. Bible Study: Acts 18:23-28 and John 16:23-28). 

No comments:

Post a Comment