If Anyone is in Christ, he is a New Creature.

Homily for June 17, 2017


What makes me a Christian? Is it the church I attend or the way I pray? Is it the way I dress, talk or behave around other people? Am I a Christian because of the place I come from or the language I speak?

St. Paul tell us this morning that if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature. This means that if I say I am in Christian, there should be something unique about me, something that makes me totally different, completely outstanding from the rest of mankind.

The question is: “what exactly differentiates a Christian from one who is not?” If we are able to sincerely answer this question, it might shock us to know that a large percentage of persons we call Christians today are not really Christians.

Let us take the issue of obedience. St. Paul says: “Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself… And being found in human form he humbled himself and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross.” Philippians 2:5-8.

Can we say a person who lacks obedience is a Christian? If Christ could afford to obey even though he knew his obedience would cost his life and I say I am in Christ, why should I have a problem obeying even in matters that are not life threatening?

Now, let us consider the issue of telling lies. Jesus teaches us this morning: “Let what you say simply be ‘yes’ or ‘no’; anything more than this comes from the Evil one.” In other words, if truly I am in Christ, I should be a new creature. I shouldn’t be telling lies and if I am so used to saying the truth always, there would be no need for me to try to assure anyone by swearing.

Indeed, to be a Christian is to have Christ himself living in me. It is the presence of Christ within me that then makes me a new creature, my approach to life, my behaviour, my thoughts, my likes, my desires; indeed, everything about me should reflect Christ. There should be nothing about me that is contrary to Christ.

Let us pray: Lord Jesus, change me completely from inside out. Amen.

*Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. God bless you. (Saturday of the 10th Week in Ordinary Time. Bible Study: 2 Corinthians 5:14-21 and Matthew 5:33-37).*

Fr. Abu.



No comments:

Post a Comment