No Suffering is Ever in Vain.

Homily for July 13, 2017


When I reflect on the story of Joseph, I realize that somehow God allows us to experience suffering because of what he intends for us eventually. In other words, if we suffer, we never suffer in vain. Every pain we feel, every tear we cry, every disappointment we face is ultimately for our good.

In today’s reading, Joseph finally summoned courage to tell his brothers: “You sold me here; But God sent me before you to preserve your life.” Joseph at this point was no longer bitter over what his brothers did to him. He read a positive meaning to an entirely negative situation.

When we are able to see the hand of God in our sufferings, when we are able to see the positive sides of our circumstances in life, a lot of healing takes place within us. The seemingly terrible acts of injustice against us suddenly become very light.

Some people never forgive. They live their lives in perpetual sadness and they never stop narrating what others did to them. Because they can’t forgive, they are always unhappy and miserable. They never see the positive sides of their circumstances. At the slightest opportunity to retaliate, they strike back so hard and so terrible that their actions become worse than what others did to them.

Joseph had the option of putting his brothers in prison. He could have decided to hide his identity forever from them and turn them into slaves since that was what they did to him. He could have felt justified by his own venom of wickedness. Yet, Joseph did the very opposite. He forgave his brothers.

When I get the opportunity to revenge on what others have done to me in the past, will I act like Joseph? Or will I shoot a fly with an AK47 rifle? Do I see my present suffering as God working out his plans for my future? Or do I go about wishing I was someone else?

Joseph went from pit to Potipher and then to prison and before palace.  No wonder St. Paul would say: “We know that in everything God works for good with those who love him, who are called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28.

Again the book of Hebrews says: “"My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor lose courage when you are punished by him. For the Lord disciplines him whom he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives…For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant; later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. Hebrews 12:1-12

Let us pray: Lord Jesus, teach me to forgive and let go and never to retaliate for wrongs done to me in the past. Amen

*Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. God bless you. (Thursday of the 14th week in Ordinary Time. Year A. Bible Study: Genesis 44:18-21,23-29;45:1-5 and Matthew 10:7-15).*


Fr. Abu.

No comments:

Post a Comment