Faith is knowing the Commander in Charge!

Homily for September 18, 2017


“Lord, I am not worthy to have you come under my roof; therefore I did not presume to come to you. But say the word and let my servant be healed.” The words of the Centurion which we say at every mass just before Holy Communion carries a lot of weight and teaches us great lessons about our Faith.

The centurion will not let Jesus come to him because he considered himself unworthy to be in the presence of the man who is God at the same time; the man who is the commander in chief of the entire universe; the man who can speak and everything in the world obeys.

Do I have such faith and such disposition whenever I come forward to receive Holy Communion? Do I believe I am receiving God who made heaven and earth and in charge of all that exists? Do I even consider myself worthy enough to receive Holy Communion or do I come forward for communion just to show others that I am holy?

While others were still trying to understand who Jesus is, this Centurion, a foreigner to the faith had already figured him out. No wonder Jesus would say: “Prophets are not without honour, except in their hometown, and among their own kin, and in their own house." Mark 6:4. His own people felt he was blaspheming by calling himself the Son of God yet a Centurion (a roman soldier in charge of hundred soldiers) recognized his Divinity.

Coming again to Holy Communion, each time I step forward to receive, do I remind myself that I am about to receive God himself under the appearance of bread and wine? Or like Jesus’ kinsfolk, have I received Holy Communion too many times that I now begin to take it for granted (become too familiar)?

The Centurion wanted Jesus to simply utter a word, he knew distance was not a barrier. Indeed, the centurion knew that Jesus is the commander in charge of the universe. Do I recognize this fact also? If so, then why am I always afraid of demons and spirits? Why is my fear of the devil more than my fear of God?

Do I really believe in God as the commander and controller of everything that happens in the universe? Do I have this faith when I pray? That for God distance is not a barrier? My dear friends, St. Paul ends our first reading today by urging us to be prayerful; that is, to pray with faith like the Centurion, to pray knowing that God is truly in command and finally, to pray without anger or quarrelling.

Could this mean anger and quarrelling has a way of affecting our prayer? I think so. Anger creates bitterness and hate in our heart; qualities that are not found in God and if we must relate with God, it is only proper that we approach God with a mind like his; a mind free from anger and quarrelling.

Let us pray: Lord Jesus, Amen.

Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. God bless you. (Monday of the 24th week in Ordinary Time. Bible Study:  1st Timothy 2:1-8 and Luke 7:1-10.)

No comments:

Post a Comment