How solid is my Foundation?

Homily for September 16, 2017

As we come to the end of another week, it is always good for us to review, cross check, reflect on and examine our activities this past week. Am I making any progress at all? Even business men will tell you that at the end of each week like this, there is need to bring out the books and balance the records.

For the business man, the leading questions are: “Did I make any money this week?” Did I make more money this week than the previous week? Is my business growing? Where do I hope to be in one or two years from now? Are there people owing me? What plans do I have to increase?”

If these questions are valid as far as making money is concerned, then there must be some similar questions as far as the spiritual life is concerned. Indeed, just as a business without record books (ledgers, incomes, expenditures, invoices, receipts etc.) is bound to fail, spirituality without record taking or constant review is bound to fail.

So how do we measure spiritual progress? Do I have a spiritual journal? In practical terms, was I a better Christian this week than I was last week? In the face of temptation and the strong winds of life that tend to toss me here and there, do I have what it takes to remain firm in the faith? In other words, do I have a solid foundation as a Christian?

How do we build a foundation in the Christian Faith and how do we ensure that foundation remains firm? In very simple terms, Jesus tells us in today’s Gospel passage: PRACTICE WHAT THE WORD OF GOD SAYS. Listening to spiritual messages, reading the bible or other great spiritual writings and then feeling holy is one thing, putting them into practice is just another business entirely.

Do I apply the teachings of Christ in my daily life? Or am I schizophrenic (having two different personalities within me); one that goes to church to sing, dance and clap and shout ‘amen’ and another personality that throws off everything about God the moment I take off my church attires?

If I don’t practice what God’s word says, then it means I have no foundation and when trials and difficulties come my way; when I don’t answers to my prayers, there is a tendency to fall out of the faith like a building that crashes and crushes those in it.

Brothers and sisters, let us be Christians not just in name but in deeds as well. Every day, there is need for us to ask ourselves how well we have done, practiced and applied God’s words in our lives.

Let us pray: Lord Jesus, help me to grow in my spiritual life daily. Amen.

*Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. God bless you. (Saturday of the 23rd week in Ordinary Time. Bible Study:  1 Timothy 1:15-17 and Luke 6:43-49.)*


Fr. Abu.

No comments:

Post a Comment