It is Better to Die Than Consent to Sin.

Homily for November 22, 2017.


“What are you waiting for? I will not obey the king's command, but I obey the command of the law that was given to our fathers through Moses. But you, who have contrived all sorts of evil against the Hebrews, will certainly not escape the hands of God.” 2 Maccabees 7:30-31 

Yesterday, we read about how Eleazer the scribe was killed for his refusal to condescend to idol worship even when he was given an option to pretend about it. Today we are presented with another gory account of persecution under the reign of Antiochus Ephiphanes. Imagine a woman having to watch her seven sons die one after the other in one day.

Even king Antiochus himself as if moved by shame at the courage of the boys decided to lure one of them with riches. What he failed to realize is that all the riches in this world cannot compensate for the fire of hell and that no matter how wealthy we become, we must surely leave all our riches behind when we die.

The young man knew this, and he made his choice; to die rather than consent to sin. Each time I commit a sin in other to be rich, I am also making a choice; I am choosing worldly riches over and above my soul. Jesus asked: “What shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul?” Matthew 16:23.

Of what use is my ill-gotten wealth when I am dead? If I cannot take a dime with me to the world beyond, it is quite clear that no amount of riches belongs to me. No wonder, Jesus reminds us in our Gospel passage that we shall give account of everything we assume to have at the moment.

The day of reckoning will surely come. I am only a manager with gifts, talents, opportunities and riches. I am to use them for my master; God. I am to use these things I have to enhance God’s kingdom on earth, I dare not hide my gifts and abilities, I must use them for God so I can give a good report on that day of reckoning.

Above all, I should not allow my fear of death overpower my fear of sin. I can only die once physically, but I die eternally when I consent to sin.

Let us pray: Lord Jesus, deepen my courage and wisdom. Amen.

Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. God bless you. (Wednesday of the 33rd Week in Ordinary Time. Bible Study:  2 Maccabees 7:1-31 And Luke 19:11-28).

No comments:

Post a Comment