Remember You are Dust!


Homily for February 14, 2018.


“Yet even now,” says the LORD, “return to me with all your heart, with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning; and rend your hearts and not your garments.” Joel 2:12-13.

Exactly fourteen days ago, I lost a dear friend and classmate, a priest who worked so hard in raising up the church where I now shepherd; Fr. John Ehichioya. His shocking death at such a young age really drove me into my shell and made me ask myself very hard questions about life. I have not really being myself since then.

Fr. John started the building of a parish house for a church that didn’t have the resources, it was like a dream. There was no money to hire labourers so he himself would put on shorts and t.shirt, begin to mix sand and cement, he would even push the wheelbarrow himself and carry blocks. When the people saw their priest doing this, they sprang into action, both old and young joined in building.

The very day I got my letter to this church, I came to meet father working (labourer’s work; he was fixing metal doors). I started asking myself: “isn’t it the same seminary we both went to?” Where did Father get to learn so much about civil engineering, architecture and building? Not only would he join in the work, he would so monitor the experts that even with their expertise, they would begin to ask Father questions like children asking a professor how to do this or that.

Father John told me he had to do all that to avoid being cheated. When he told me the amount of money he spent from the foundation to the level I met the house, I was shocked. Some persons would spent twice that amount and the work would not get to half that level. It was so sad that by the time father was leaving, I had not completed the finishing and furnishing. The funds were not readily available.

I told him that he would come and spend at least one night in this house whenever he is on holiday to which he simply laughed. I was looking forward to hosting him in a grand way so he could at least enjoy this house he designed himself and spent even his own money in building.

Hearing of his death two weeks ago, the first thing that struck my mind was: “You mean, after all that work, all that sacrifice, all that labour, Fr. John didn’t even spend a single night in this house he built?” Then I said to myself: “This world is nothing!”

As we begin our Lenten Season today, the ashes we shall receive on our foreheads are clearly a reminder of the emptiness of our very lives. Remember that you are dust; (meaning: remember that you are NOTHING, you came from nothing) and unto dust you shall return (meaning: no matter how rich you are, no matter how powerful you are today, no matter the number of people bowing before you today using their heads to scrub the floor for you to pass, you shall still die one day and return to Nothing).

So, be Humble!

Secondly, if it is true that we are basically nothing, what keeps us going? The answer is simple: The Breath of God. My life is not in my hands, God can decide any moment to take back his breath and there is nothing I can do; not even the best hospital in the world can bring me back.

So, knowing how dependent I am on God, I should take full advantage of this Lenten Season to draw close to God as much as possible. Joel says it is not too late to return to God, its not too late to repent of my sins, my bad habits, my addictions and my spiritual lukewarmness. It is not too late to Return to Prayer, Fasting and Almsgiving.

Let us Pray: Lord Jesus, remind me of my death each day that I may live wisely. Amen.

Be happy, live positive, it is well with you. 2018 Ash Wednesday. Bible Study: Joel 2:12-18, 2nd Corinthians 5:20-6:2 and Matthew 6:1-6, 16-18.

No comments:

Post a Comment