Do you love me? Don’t just say it; Prove it with Actions

Homily for May 18, 2018).


“When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, ‘Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?’... ‘Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.’ … ‘Feed my lambs.’ … ‘Simon, son of John, do you love me?’ … ‘Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.’ … ‘Tend my sheep.’ … ‘Simon, son of John, do you love me?’ …’Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.’ …. ‘Feed my sheep.’ John 21:15-17. 

Today’s Gospel passage finally takes us away from the scene of Jesus’ prayer which we have been following for some day now into that beautiful scene of Peter’s Confession of Love at the bank of the sea few days after the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

There are many ways to understand this passage. Indeed, the more we look, the more we try to place ourselves in the shows of all the characters involved, the more we discover so many powerful truths about life, love, forgiveness and ministry.

First, by way of background, this event took place in the morning after the disciples let by Peter went fishing all night only to catch nothing. Till this time, Peter’s heart was not fully in ministry, even though he had been with Jesus for about three years and seen everything he did up to his appearing to him after the resurrection, Peter still returned to his first love; which was fishing.

One thing about love is that it doesn’t pretend. Love cannot hide. Like Peter, most of us are actually in love with fishing (that is, providing our daily bread; providing for our material needs, money, food, shelter, etc.), we claim to love God but in reality, we don’t. We only love God to the extent that our material needs are provided.

Having worked all night and caught nothing in the process, it is necessary for Jesus to ask Peter if he really loved him. Three times, Jesus asked that question and every time Peter responded, Jesus, said: “Feed my lambs, tend my sheep, feed my sheep.” In other words, “if you love me, you wouldn’t be out there trying to catch fish for yourself, you will be looking after my flock.” If you love me, then be prepared to die for my sake.

The first lesson we learn today is that LOVE FOR GOD IS ABSOLUTELY IMPORTANT FOR MINISTRY. Love is and should always be the only motivating factor for anyone entering into ministry. If the love of God is not in the heart of a minister, ministry becomes all about wealth creation. Rather than feeding the sheep, the sheep become barbeque for the minister. Sadly, this is what we see today.

Secondly, WITHOUT LOVE, THE WORLD WILL GO DOWN. If you were Jesus, what would you say to a man who denied you three times and still had the guts to return to the same fishing business you called him from? Honestly, if Jesus were to act like most of us, Peter would have died that very minute.

What keeps this world going is love. Without love, the world would have ended a long time ago. If we all practice the “eye-for-an-eye” mentality, the whole world would go blind in a matter of days. Love is patient and kind; love takes no record of records; love never ends; never gives up on people. Three times, Peter denied Christ, three times Jesus asked that question. In essence, Jesus was saying: “Peter, I forgive you.”

Thirdly, LOVE IS SACRIFICE. Love isn't loving until it is followed by action. Love involves tolerance as Jesus was of Peter. Mind you, Jesus did not say “Take care of yourself,” he said: “Feed my lambs.” Love is going out of my way to bring happiness to others even if it involves my own discomfort. When I love, I should ask: “what am gaining from this?”, I should be asking: “how well am I feeding (giving to others)?”

Jesus even went as far as predicting the kind of death Peter would die; how he would stretch out his hands while others will tie his belt and take him where he does not wish to go – all because he said: “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” Love is not trade-by-barter. Love is a sacrifice; it self-giving.

If we say we love God, then our relationship with him should never be dependent on what we are getting from him. Our love shouldn’t end with lip-service praises we sing in church, our love for God should reflect in the very life we live and choices we make.

Let us pray: Lord Jesus, I love you, take away from me anything that would serve as an obstacle to this love. Amen.

Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. God bless you. (Friday of the 7th Week of Easter. Bible Study: Acts 25:13-21 and John 21:15-19).

No comments:

Post a Comment