Every Sin is a Disaster.

Homily for Saturday 27th October 2018

_“Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans, because they suffered thus?  3 I tell you, No; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish.” *Luke 13:2-3*_

Since yesterday, so many persons have sent me pictures of a man dressed in uniform of the Knights of a Catholic Church alongside with photos of his wife, their son as well as the picture of a little girl with the story of how this man together with his son allegedly defiled the girl who is now late as a result of the abuse. There was even a protest today concerning this issue. The poor girl whose name was given as Ochanya was an orphan who had come to live with the man and his family only for her to die in this way.

 A few days ago, we heard Jesus say: “whatever you have said in the dark shall be heard in the light, and what you have whispered in private rooms shall be proclaimed upon the housetops.” Luke 12:3. This case is one classic example of Jesus’ words coming to pass. If only the man or his son knew their pictures would be shared a thousand times over a million smartphones, I am sure they would have summoned the courage to say “No” to satan when such evil thoughts came to their minds.

Before we start pointing fingers, let us sit down and ask ourselves: Are there things I do in secret that I am ashamed of? Do I think I can continue forever? When I dress nicely to church and join societies, do I do it for people to respect me or because I really believe in God? Today, it is their turn, it will surely be my own turn tomorrow. The world will get to know all that I have been doing in secret. I hope when that day comes, I will be proud of myself.

Every sin is a disaster. There is just nothing we gain from doing something God hates. We may deny God’s existence but we can never deny the effects of sin. In today’s Gospel passage, it was reported to Jesus that Pilate slaughtered some Galileans and mixed their blood with the sacrifices offered to the idols. They were probably expecting Jesus to get angry at Pilate or even pronounce a curse on him but to their surprise, in his response, Jesus did not even mention Pilate’s name.

Imagine reporting Ochanya’s incidence to Jesus only for Him to tell you, “those who died such painful deaths, do you think they were worse sinners? No, but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.” Are you the guy who after stealing huge sums of money assists in putting a tire on the neck of one who was accused of stealing few seeds of groundnuts while you watch with delight as he burns to ashes?

I read the comments section of that story and I see many are ready with stones to throw at the man and his son for molesting that young girl to death but I wonder what would Jesus say or do if he were in Benue State today. I wonder if he would say: “go ahead, stone them, kill them, yes, they deserve to die” or if he would say: “let him or her who has no sin be the first to cast a stone.”

If you are a Christian, my prayer for you is that the story of Ochanya would fill you with so much anger not just against this man and his son but against yourself for all your sexual sins. May this anger be so much that you would actually repent as Jesus warns in today’s Gospel passage! Imagine the horror of a building collapsing upon a person, let this horror so fill your heart each time you feel like “doing it” with someone that is not your legitimate husband or wife. Realize that what you refer to as pleasure is not really pleasurable because you are doing to yourself what Pilate did with those whose blood he mixed with the sacrifices.

There is no time to repent. Act Now or Never. Jesus gave the parable of a man who planted a fig tree in his vineyard only to be disappointed after three years because he did not find fruits on it. He wanted to cut it down but the vine dressed pleaded for mercy. He gave it another chance. God is merciful because he keeps giving us another chance to repent. Who knows? Today might just be your last chance! Repent before it is too late.

Sirach 21:1-2 says: “Have you sinned, my son? Do so no more, but pray about your former sins. Flee from sin as from a snake; for if you approach sin, it will bite you. Its teeth are lion's teeth, and destroy the souls of men.” In 1 Corinthians 6:18-19, St. Paul says: “Shun immorality. Every other sin which a man commits is outside the body; but the immoral man sins against his own body. Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, which you have from God?”

Let us pray: Lord Jesus, touch my heart and free me from all my hidden sins. Amen.

*Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. God bless you. (Saturday of the 29th Week in Ordinary Time. Bible Study: Ephesians 4:7-16, Psalm 122:1-5 and Luke 13:1-9).*

No comments:

Post a Comment