The Sacred Heart Of Jesus: Fount Of Blood And Water

Readings: Hosea 11:1,3-4,8-9, Isaiah 12, Ephesians 3:8-12,14-19, John 19:31-37


“One of the soldiers pierced his side with a spear, and at once blood and water came out..” (John 19:34)


Today, the church celebrates the solemnity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. This devotion began during the medieval era and was promoted by many saints such as St. Gertrude, St. Margaret Mary Alacoque and St. John Eudes. Today, man’s inhumanity to man has risen beyond reasonable proportions. Everywhere you turn, there is one war or another. The human race is not at peace. Amidst all these, today’s solemnity calls us to reflect and ponder the Sacred Heart of Jesus. What is so special about this heart?

- This heart is compassionate. Jesus feels our pains; He suffers (with us) and comes to our rescue. Recalling the miraculous deliverance of the Israelites from slavery in Egypt, God says in today’s first reading: “When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son… I led them with cords of compassion, with the bands of love, and I became to them as one, who eases the yoke on their jaws, and I bent down to them and fed them.” (Hosea 11:1-4). The heart of Jesus is like that of a mother towards her child; she is ready to do whatever it takes to protect the child. Speaking through the prophet Isaiah, God says: “Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, yet I will not forget you.” (Isaiah 49:15).

- This heart is forgiving. When we are unfaithful, Jesus never gives up on us. Even when we do what deserves punishment, Jesus does not destroy us. Despite all that God did for the Israelites, they still turned to the worship of other gods even while they were still on the journey to the Promised Land; they made a golden calf and worshipped it. God was furious, but He listened to Moses’ plea. In today’s first reading, God says: “My heart recoils within me, my compassion grows warm and tender. I will not execute my fierce anger, I will not again destroy Ephraim; for I am God and not man, the Holy One in your midst, and I will not come to destroy.” (Hosea 11:8-9). Jesus confirmed this verse in his conversation with Nicodemus: “For God sent the Son into the world, not to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through him.” (John 3:17). We all deserve death for our sins, but we are alive today because of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

- This heart is trustworthy. In today’s responsorial psalm, Isaiah says: “Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid; for the Lord God is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation. With joy, you will draw water from the wells of salvation.” (Isaiah 12:2-3). This is why we are confident when we pray. We know that we are praying to a God who cares and is genuinely interested in our physical and spiritual well-being. Jesus looked at the crowd and said: “I have compassion on the crowd because they have been with me now three days and have nothing to eat; and I am unwilling to send them away hungry, lest they faint on the way.” (Matthew 15:32).

- This heart is the fount that sustains the church. In today’s Gospel passage, we return to the foot of the cross. When the soldiers noticed that Jesus was dead, they did not break his legs, but one of them pierced his side with a spear, and immediately came blood and water. John, who was still standing there with Mary, the mother of Jesus, saw this with his eyes. According to Origen, the water that flowed from the side of Jesus is a symbol of water, and the blood is a symbol of the Holy Eucharist, and from these two sacraments, the church is born. St. John Chrysostom says: “From the wound in Christ’s side has come forth the Church, and He has made her His bride.”

- Having considered these qualities, today’s solemnity is a call to emulate the heart of Jesus. This is exactly what St. Paul prays for in today’s second reading: “For this reason, I bow my knees before the Father… that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love…may be filled with all the fulness of God.” (Ephesians 3:14-19).

Let us pray: Almighty, ever-living God, your heart is meek, humble, loving, compassionate and forgiving; make our hearts like yours. We ask this through Our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God forever and ever. Amen.

Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. May God's abundant blessings be upon us all. (The Most Sacred Heart of Jesus - Solemnity. Bible Study: Hosea 11:1,3-4,8-9, Isaiah 12, Ephesians 3:8-12,14-19, John 19:31-37).

@Rev. Fr. Evaristus E. Abu

No comments:

Post a Comment