Sons of the Soil in God’s House

Homily for October 28, 2017.


“So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are citizens with the saints and also members of the household of God, built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the cornerstone.” Ephesians 2:19-20. 

Baptism is such a powerful sacrament; it takes me away from my natural family, my tribal affiliation and re-births me into a new family; the family of God; the family where I can confidently refer to Jesus to my elder brother.

It will be completely unfair, unjust and insensitive on my part to treat a fellow Christian like a stranger all because he or she does not speak my language or is not related to me by blood. I should be a Good Samaritan who would stop to care for people not minding whether they are Jews or not.

I should grow out of my tiny box where the only persons I consider as human beings are those who just happen to be born from my village or clan. When tribalism affects the selection of persons for certain positions in the House of God, it really calls to question the extent of our conversion to the Christian Faith.

To say certain persons are “most suitable” for the work of evangelization in certain places because they speak the language or understand the people is to betray the power of the Holy Spirit who is the Principal Agent of Evangelization.

It is sad to say this but it is the truth – when foreign missionaries brought the Faith, there were very few Churches but more genuine Christians in Nigeria; today, there are less Christians but more Churches scattered all over the place.

I have every reason to doubt whether Jesus selected the twelve Apostles based on tribal sentiments. This is because our Gospel passage today clearly shows that Jesus spent a whole night in prayer before selecting the Apostles.

Today, we celebrate Simon and Jude, two great Apostles. We remember them not because of the language they spoke or the tribe they belonged to, but their contribution to the spread of Christianity and indeed, this is what really matters.

Let us Pray: Lord Jesus, use me as your instrument just like the Apostles. Amen.

Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. God bless you. (Feast of Saints Simon and Jude. Bible Study:  Ephesians 2:19-22 and Luke 6:12-16).

No comments:

Post a Comment