Heaven is not Cheap.


Wednesday 31st July, 2019. Bible Study: Exodus 34:29-35 Psalm 99 and Matthew 13:44-46.


“The kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls, who, on finding one pearl of great value, went and sold all that he had and bought it.” (Matthew 13:45-46)

There is one song that carries the message of our Gospel passage this morning. It goes thus: You take the whole world, and give me Jesus… you take the whole world and give me Jesus… you take the whole world and give me Jesus… am satisfied, am satisfied.

There is another song that also brings home the message: My lifetime, I will give God my lifetime, my lifetime, I will give God my lifetime… if I give God my life time, he will take care of me, he will never let me die, I will give God my lifetime.

Dear friends, if we really want to get to heaven, then we must be willing to let go of everything we have. We cannot pursue material prosperity at the same time with spiritual prosperity. We cannot eat our cake and still have it.

A man found a treasure in a field and decided to buy the field. To purchase the field, he had to sell everything he had. Do I consider my spiritual life as a great treasure? Do I value my relationship with God? Am I willing to sacrifice everything else in this world just to remain in tune with God?

Not too long ago, I read the story of a Gospel Artist who was offered a lifetime salary of one million dollars monthly to join the Illuminati cult. The young man turned down the offer saying nothing will ever stop him from using his music to evangelise and worship God. By rejecting this offer, he has paid a great price for the kingdom of God. Indeed, heaven is not cheap.

After speaking with God, Moses' face shone so brightly that the people had to put a veil on his face. Do I realize this is exactly what happens to me when I spend time in prayer? Am I willing to sacrifice my time for prayer? Or do I allow other mundane activities to occupy my prayer time?

Dear friends, heaven is not cheap. It deserves all our mind, all our heart, all our strength and all our soul. We must give all we can to the race. Heaven should never be secondary to us lest we miss it.

Today we remember St. Ignatius of Loyola, the founder of the Society of Jesus also known as the Jesuits. Ignatius was on his way to military fame and fortune when a cannonball shattered his leg.  Because there were no books of romance on hand during his convalescence (healing process in the hospital), he whiled away the time reading the life of Christ and lives of the saints. His conscience was deeply touched, and a long, painful turning to Christ began.

Ignatius was a true mystic. He centred his spiritual life on the essential foundations of Christianity—the Trinity, Christ, the Eucharist. His spirituality is expressed in the Jesuit motto, ad majorem Dei gloriam—“for the greater glory of God.” He is the Patron of Retreats.

Let us pray: Lord Jesus, give me the grace to get my spiritual priorities right. Amen.

Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. God bless you. (Wednesday of the 17th week in Ordinary Time. (Year 1) Bible Study: Exodus 34:29-35 Psalm 99 and Matthew 13:44-46).

No comments:

Post a Comment