Focus on the Log in Your Eye, Not the Speck in Others.


Saturday 29th February 2020. Read Isaiah 58:9-14, Psalm 86, and Luke 5:27-32)_


_“If you take away from the midst of you the yoke, the pointing of the finger, and speaking wickedness, if you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday.” *(Isaiah 58:9-10)*_ 

It is so easy to notice the speck in my neighbours’ eye but somehow, I have come to love the log in my own eye. It is so easy to preach to others but I find it extremely difficult to examine my conscience. I may be a very good doctor, but if I never admit my own sickness, I could die without medical attention.

Isaiah mentions the pointing of the finger and speaking of wickedness among the sins which God hates, sins which nullify our fasting and prayer. This was the sin of the Pharisees who not only accused Levi of being a sinner but accused Jesus of doing what was evil by eating with sinners.

The Pharisees failed to realize that in converting a sinner, showing them love works magic. And this is exactly what Jesus was doing. Isaiah tells us this morning to: “pour ourselves out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted that our light my rise in the darkness.” Do you know that you could convert more souls by showing them kindness than by judging and condemning them?

Like Levi, Jesus is inviting us to dine with him this season of Lent; to leave our past behind, to restore all that we have stolen, to return all that we have defrauded, to rebuild the bridges we have burnt, to cease from the bad habits we have formed; to bring our friends to Jesus.

As we say in the Stations of the Cross, “no matter what my past has been, I can begin anew.” Go for confession. Receive the love that Jesus is offering you. Begin afresh. Question for today: “What are those things I can do to restore my friendship with Jesus?”

Let us pray: Lord Jesus, may I wholly follow you leaving sin behind. Amen.

*Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. God bless you. (Saturday after Ash Wednesday. Bible Study: Isaiah 58:9-14, Psalm 86, and Luke 5:27-32).*

Fr. Abu

No comments:

Post a Comment