Hate Evil and Love Good


Wednesday 1st July 2020. Read Amos 5:14-24, Psalm 50:7-17, Matthew 8:28-34.

“What have you to do with us, O Son of God? Have you come here to torment us before the time?” (Matthew 8:29)


Our first reading this morning explains the popular, yet very controversial quote that “the prayer of a sinner is an abomination in the sight of God.” Does God abhor the prayer of a sinner? How then do we explain the prayer of the tax collector in the parable of Jesus who without looking up to heaven prayed? “God, be merciful to me a sinner.” (Luke 18:13).

To say the prayer of the sinner is an abomination to God is to say only half of the whole truth. God loves sinners but hates sin. God says: “I hate, I despise your festivals… even though you offer me your burnt offerings and grain offerings, I will not accept them; and the offerings of well-being of your fatted animals I will not look upon… But let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream.” (Amos 5:21-24).

Worshipping God is not just a matter of avoiding sin, it is more importantly about doing good deeds. Seek the good, love what is good, establish justice in your gates and let righteousness flow from your actions. As Jesus says: “You are my friends if you do what I command you.” (John 15:14).

We cannot claim to love God and love sin at the same time. If truly we love God, we must have a zero-tolerance for sin and all forms of evil so much so that like Jesus, our very presence becomes a threat to demons. We must hate sin so much that evil people become completely uncomfortable in our midst.

Let us pray: Lord Jesus, you cured the demoniacs, cure me of my sinfulness. Amen.

Happy New Month. Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. God bless you. (Wednesday of the 13th Week in Ordinary Time. Bible Study: Amos 5:14-24, Psalm 50:7-17, Matthew 8:28-34).

For Live Mass and other online contents, visit: www.bhlpmedia.com

No comments:

Post a Comment