STANDING FIRM AND FULLY CONVINCED. (Homily for Wednesday of the 33rd Week in Ordinary Time, Year B.)

Bible Study:  2 Maccabees 7, 1 to 31. And Luke 19, 11 to 28.


Yesterday, we read about how Eleazer the scribe was killed for his refusal to condescend to idol worship even when he was given an option to pretend about it. Today we read about another gory account of persecution at the time of the Maccabees. Imagine a woman having to watch and see her seven sons die before her very eyes.

Even king Antiochus himself as if moved by shame at the courage of the boys decided to lure one of them with riches if only the boy would denounce his faith. And to his greatest surprise, the young man refused. He preferred rather to die.

This sad story of persecution is offered to us today to deepen our conviction and resistance to sin. No wonder the book of Hebrews states quite plainly: “In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood.” Hebrews 12, 4. Honestly, by the time we become prepared to die rather than consent even to the slightest sin, then and then only can be beat our chest about our real identity as children of God.

In our Gospel passage, we find Jesus giving us a parable of the talents. A king who was about to embark on a journey called his servants and handed over to them talents, to one he gave ten, to another five and to another, one. Upon his return, he demanded an account of what each of them used the talents for. This parable was told by Jesus in other to show us what should be our correct attitude to worldly goods.

We must always bear in mind that there is nothing in this world that is worth losing our souls for because someday we shall have to hand over everything back to the owner, someday, we shall have to give an account of our very lives.

So I ask myself these questions today: why should that which is not everlasting become the source of sin for me? Why am I not prepared to die rather than consent to evil just because of some material possession that is there today and will not be there tomorrow? Why do I love this world so much that makes me so scared of death? Why is that I only seem to resist sin when it comfortable for me and keep telling myself that I had no choice at other times when resistance demanded pain and sacrifice on my part? If I find it so hard to resist these small sins, what would be my reaction when faced with martyrdom?

Let us Pray:
Lord Jesus, deepen my conviction in the truth and make me realise that that there is nothing in the world, not even my very life is worth perishing in hell for. Amen.


Good morning. Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment