THE DOUBLE ASSURANCE OF VICTORY. (Homily for Friday of the 33rd Week in Ordinary Time, Year B.)

Bible Study:  1 Maccabees 4, 36 to 59. And Luke 19, 45 to 48.


Anyone who sets out to fight for truth, righteousness and holiness always wins in the end. The victory of Judas and his brothers which we read about in today’s first readings over the evil king Antiochus is a victory that assures us of God’s great hand of support when we fight for him. There is a song that we sing quite often: “Who can battle with the Lord? Who can battle with the Lord? I say No body. I say No body.”

Can anyone destroy God? The book of Proverbs 18 verse 10 says even the very name of the Lord is a STRONG TOWER. The righteous run to it and they are safe. When it comes to fighting, King David is one great example of a man who fought wars and defeated giants even from his very childhood. David revealed his secret in 2nd Samuel 22 verse 2 to 4 when he said:The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior —  from violent men you save me. I call to the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies.”

God is a rock, if you run into it, it will crush you. If it falls on you, it will crush you. We cannot simply allow the enemy to defeat us when we know we have a God who crushes wars, a God who is greater than anything we can ever think of or imagine. Just as we pointed out yesterday, when it comes to the battle against sin, our greatest enemy is our very selves. According to Sir Thomas Browne in his book Religio Medici written in 1639, “Every man is his own greatest enemy, and as it were his own executioner.”

If we are determined to fight against ourselves, that is, fight against our love for sin, not just because we want to be better than others, but for the sake of our Love for God, today’s readings assure of us of great victory. The time of battle may last for a while but as we fight, we stand from a position of advantage. In the course of his earthly life, Jesus fought many battles and won. He fought with the devil after his 40days fasting and prayer and the devil could not stop him from beginning his ministry. Again at the garden of Gethsemane, Jesus fought again, his sweat was like drops of blood but he succeeded. It was on the Cross of Calvary that Jesus gave the final fatal blow to Satan.

Dear friends, no matter how many battles the enemy may present, remember that victory is yours. Always call on Jesus for help and pick your cross daily because this battle is not one to be fought on the level of comfort and luxury.

Let us Pray:
Lord Jesus, grant me victory daily over myself that by my life, I give you the worship that you truly deserve. Amen.


Good morning. Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment