ARE YOU FOR CHRIST OR ANTI-CHRIST? (Homily for December 31st 2015, Seventh day of Christmas).


Bible Study: 1st John 2, 18 to 21. John 1, 1 to 18.


Whenever the word “Antichrist” is mentioned, our minds tend to go directly to the devil but a better understanding of that word is in the context it appears in today’s first reading. The antichrist is not necessary the devil himself but anyone who claims to profess faith in Christ but brings about division and distortion of the truth among Christians.

According to John, “So many antichrists have come; therefore we know that it is the last hour.  They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; but they went out, that it might be plain that they all are not of us…. I write to you, not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and know that no lie is of the truth.” 1 John 2, 18 to 21. 

From what John says, it is either we are Pro-Christ or Anti-Christ. We cannot be the both at the same time. It is either we are promoting Christ by our life or we are giving a wrong message about Christ to the world. In Christ, there is no division, anyone who is championing division is not of Christ.

Jesus himself told us that it is by their fruits that we would know the antichrists. One of the principal characteristic of an antichrist is pretence, he or she appears good outside to attract people but deep within, they are ravenous wolves.

"Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thorns, or figs from thistles? So, every sound tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears evil fruit. A sound tree cannot bear evil fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus you will know them by their fruits.”

“Not everyone who says to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name? And then will I declare to them, I never knew you; depart from me, you evildoers.” Matthew 7, 15 to 23. 

It is not for us to start trying to identify antichrists among us otherwise that would amount to judging others. And Jesus says: “Remove the log in your own eyes first before ever attempting to remove the speck in your brother’s eye.” Hence, we should rather ask ourselves: “Am I being an antichrist by the way I live out my Christianity?” Am I living in the light or simply pretending?

John says in our Gospel passage: “The true light that enlightens every man was coming into the world. He was in the world, and the world was made through him, yet the world knew him not. He came to his own home, and his own people received him not. But to all who received him, who believed in his name, he gave power to become children of God.” John 1, 9 to 12. Have I fully received Christ? Is my greatest aspiration simply to live out the ideals of my Christian faith? Do I believe that God’s commandments are also meant for me to follow or do I see them as instructions meant only for “holy people”?

As a child of God, what are my New Year resolutions? 

Let us Pray:
Lord Jesus, may I not become an antichrist by the way and manner I live my Christianity. Amen.


God bless you. Good Morning. Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. Happy last day of the year 2015. Congratulations, You Made it!

No comments:

Post a Comment