JESUS HIMSELF ALLOWED HIS ACTIONS SPEAK FOR HIM. (Homily for Wednesday of the 3RD Week in Advent, Year C.)


Bible Study: Isaiah 45, 6 to 25. And Luke 7, 19 to 23.


If you recall, yesterday’s topic was “Don’t just say it, let your actions speak.” Jesus gave us a parable of two brothers who were asked to go and work in their father’s vineyard, the first said “I will not go” but later on changed his mind and went. The second said “I will go” but did not go eventually. Then Jesus emphasised that it is not what we say that matter before God but what we do.

Today we see Jesus putting this very teaching into practice. John the Baptist who was now perhaps in prison sent people to Jesus to ask “Are you the one who is to come, or shall we look for another?” Jesus did not give a straight response, he allowed his actions speak. Just as that very moment, Jesus was curing many people of their diseases and plagues and evil spirits and restoring sight to many who were blind. By his actions, Jesus was practically fulfilling the ancient prophecy of Isaiah: “The spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, because the LORD has anointed me; he has sent me to bring good news to the oppressed, to bind up the broken-hearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and release to the prisoners; to proclaim the year of the LORD's favour…” Isaiah 61, verses 1 and 2.

If Jesus was not the expected one, he would not have been able to work these miracles. So he didn’t need to tell John “I am he” or “I am not he.” All he said was “Go and report my works, the blind can see again, the deaf can hear, the lame can walk, lepers are cleansed, dead are raised up, the poor have good news proclaimed to them.”

Dear friends, if actions speak louder than words, we are called to examine for ourselves today what sort of things our actions are proclaiming about us?


Let us Pray:
Lord Jesus, help me to realise that it is better for my life itself and not my words to proclaim my faith. Amen.


Good morning. Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment