The Power of Setting Good Examples for the Young.

(Homily for February 23, 2017).


As a little kid growing up back in the days, I still remember the very first scandal I witnessed that shook my bone marrows. It was one I would never recover from. It was a bright Monday afternoon. One of my teachers had given us a test the previous Friday and I happened to score 100% but my teacher was not convinced anyone could score that high without copying from the textbook. So on this Monday afternoon, she took me to the staff room and decided to give me a different test which I was to finish in her presence within the time she allotted.

While I was sweating and cracking my brain, the teachers started discussing among themselves. Not only did their noise distract me, the topic of their discussion was way above my age; it seemed as if they forgot I was there or they felt I was too young to understand. But honestly, by the time I left that staff room I became convinced that none of them would go to heaven! Not just that, I recall how the desire to see and explore what they were saying suddenly developed in me. Even when my teacher later came to the classroom to congratulate me for scoring 100% again, I had no reason to smile; something sacred had damaged in my moral faculty.

Children are fragile not only physically but spiritually. They easily believe whatever you tell them, yet they are easily destroyed. If the foundation is faulty, how can the building stand? The greatest evil anyone can ever commit is to show bad example to children. By so doing, you are not just committing sin, you are also guilty of murder; spiritual murder. Hence as Jesus said: “whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him if a great millstone were hung round his neck and he thrown into the sea.”

To avoid falling into this temptation of misleading the young, we must avoid sin at all costs. If you condone sin at all, you never can tell when the little ones are around. That is why Jesus goes further to say that if your hand, your eye or your foot causes you to sin, pluck it off meaning we should never ever give room at all to sin. Believe me, kids of today are way smarter than we think or assume. Back then in primary school, I had a class mate who told me there is a way he can tune his television at home and whatever is showing on their neighbours’ television sets would begin to show on his. This was as far as the 90’s. Now, imagine what kids of today can do.

Never preach something to a kid which you yourself do not believe or practice. If we are not what we claim to be, our kids are the first to find out. We are meant to have salt in us, we are meant to show good example always and spread light continuously whether or not anyone is watching. Don’t teach kids that stealing is bad when stealing is your hobby. Don’t shout at them for not being truthful when right in front of them you tell fat lies to their teachers at school to cover up for your own laziness and irresponsibility. Don’t threaten them for being disrespectful and rude to elders when all they see from you is how you talk down on authority or insult your spouse. Children learn more than we expect and faster than we think! Let us show good example.

Let us Pray: Lord Jesus, you showed good example by your life; teach me to do likewise. Amen. St. Polycarp, bishop and martyr; Pray for us.

Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. God bless you. (Thursday of the 7th Week in Ordinary Time. Bible Study: Ecclesiasticus 5:1-10 and Mark 9:41-50).


Fr. Abu.

No comments:

Post a Comment