How Much Does Your Knowledge Cost?

Homily for April 12, 2017.


For the past three days, our Gospel readings have been hovering around the character of one man who stabbed his master in the back, one man who valued money more than anything else.

Today, we shall be asking ourselves: How much of Judas Iscariot lives within me? How much do I resemble Judas? Don’t I reveal the secrets and weak points of people who confide in me out of trust?

The spirit of Judas is a spirit of business-mindedness gone haywire. Matthew tells us that he was the one who went to meet the Chief Priests to ask “What will you give me if I deliver him to you?”

Has my knowledge of Jesus become a means of obtaining money from people? Do I use my knowledge to promote the work of evangelization freely or have I decided to sell Jesus to people by milking them of their hard-earned resources all in the name of making them enjoy favours from Jesus?

On a general note, what is the cost of my knowledge? As a Doctor, or a lawyer or a technician or an Engineer or a professor, am I so stingy with my knowledge that I only decide to teach other when they pay for it?

Do I see myself as the only source of knowledge such that without me, nothing should work anymore? Do I show others the way or do I take pleasure in seeing them make mistakes when they attempt to be like me?

Somehow we all have an element of Judas living inside of us and we need to constantly work to overcome our desire for betrayal, our greed and love for money.

Let us Pray: Lord Jesus, may I never become subject to money. Amen.

Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. God bless you. (Wednesday of the Holy Week. Bible Study: Isaiah 50:4-9 and Matthew 26:14-25).

Fr. Abu.



No comments:

Post a Comment