YES, YOU TOO CAN BE A WITNESS TO JESUS CHRIST. (Homily for May 3, 2016. Feast of Saints Philip and James.)


Bible Study: 1st Corinthians 15, 1 to 8 and John 14, 6 to 14.


When it comes to witnessing for Jesus Christ, most of us actually look down on ourselves. We just believe that we are not worthy or capable of talking to people or winning souls for Christ. Sometimes, I purposely speak to young people about vocations to priesthood or religious life but I notice that each time I say things to them like: “Don’t you think God is calling you to be priest?”, the next thing that comes from their mouths is a confession of all their weaknesses and sinful inclinations. It is like saying: see now, I am not good enough or yes, I used to think that way before but right now, I am no longer holy enough.

We like to think of priests and religious as perfect and flawless people but we forget that every one of us is on a journey to perfection; a journey that ends in heaven and not here on earth. And that is why on a day like this, it is interesting to consider the fact that even the apostles of Jesus, the great twelve so to say were not that perfect! They too, were on a journey but they did not allow their imperfection get in their way. They made themselves available just like that and God still used them.

Imagine how Philip was addressed by Jesus in today’s Gospel passage. “Have I been with you so long and yet you do not know me?” The answer was “Yes.” Philip ate and drank with Jesus for three years and still he did not know that Jesus is God and that to have seen Jesus is to have seen God the father. He did not understand the Trinity. To put it simply, he was not perfect.

Dear friends, like Philip and James, we are called to put our imperfections behind us and allow the Holy Spirit to use us. Yes, you too can be a witness for Jesus Christ. Do not be afraid. It is not going to be by your own ability. Jesus himself says: “Whatever you ask in my name, I will do it that the Father may be glorified in the Son.” Just say yes to him today and you will be surprised how much you will accomplish eventually.

Let us pray: Lord Jesus, help me to think less of myself and more of you in responding to your call. Amen

St. Philip and James, pray for us.


God bless you. Good morning. Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment