Forgive to be Forgiven.

(Homily for March 14, 2017).


The first step to winning favour from God is the acknowledgement of our sins. Do you remember the two men who went to pray in the temple?

One of them justified himself before God, while the other man just said “be merciful to me a sinner.” Jesus gave us this parable to show us the kind of prayer that is acceptable before God.

This was the kind of prayer that Daniel in our first reading prayed on behalf of the people; it was a prayer seeking for forgiveness. Daniel knew that the people’s exile was a function of their sins, hence he prayed fervently for mercy.

Difficulties and challenges in our lives are often as a result of our sinfulness and like Daniel, there is need for us to ask for God’s forgiveness.

However, to obtain forgiveness, we too must be willing to give out forgiveness. That is why Jesus taught us to pray the Our Father saying: “Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.”

Knowing fully well, we would say this prayer everyday Jesus wanted us to hear those words and reflect on them on a daily basis meaning that as long as we pray, we must forgive others. In today’s Gospel passage,

Jesus again reminds us that we can only get God’s mercy by first giving out mercy to others. This is what Jesus teaches us in today’s Gospel passage. “Be merciful as your Father in heaven is merciful.”

“Judge not and you will not be judged, condemn not and you will not be condemned, forgive and you will be forgiven… For the measure you give will be the measure you get back.”

Very often we find it difficult to forgive because we think of ourselves as perfect, we forget that we are all humans capable of the same weaknesses. If I still offend God despite how hard I try not to, then I should be able to sympathize with those who offend me knowing how hard they themselves try not to.

My ability to come to terms with my own weakness should make me appreciate other people for who they are: products of weakness, and this should make me release others from the mental prison of hate and unforgiveness in my mind.

Let us Pray: Lord Jesus, I am sorry, forgive me for refusing to forgive others. Amen.

Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. God bless you. (Monday of the 2nd week of Lent. Bible Study: Daniel 9:4-10 and Luke 6:36-38).


Fr. Abu.

No comments:

Post a Comment