Everybody is Looking for Jesus; What about Me?

Homily for February 4, 2018.


“And Simon and those who were with him pursued him, and they found him and said to him, “Everyone is searching for you.” And he said to them, “Let us go on to the next towns; that I may preach there also; for that is why I came out.” Mark 1:36-38.

Last Sunday, we read of how Jesus went into the synagogue to preach and there was a man right there who had an unclean spirit in him. We asked the question: What is the devil doing in the church? This Sunday, we read the events that followed when the synagogue ended and Jesus followed Peter home.

The question is: Do I allow the Jesus I encounter in church every Sunday follow me home? Do I take Jesus to my house or abandon him as quickly as I pick my bags to leave the church building? Dear friends, the home is an extension of the church, it is not enough that we wear our best dresses to church on Sunday; we must continue our worship at home. Let us revive the daily family prayer and bible study. Let not television and social media cause us to push Jesus out of homes. Jesus is constantly standing at the doors of our homes knocking and hoping we would invite him in. Cf. Rev. 3:20.

Remember that song: “When Jesus is in the family, happy happy home…” Jesus’ presence in a home makes all things right. Is there anyone sick in your house, are you experiencing family crisis, tired of the headaches of stubborn children, experiencing marital crisis and infidelity, then it is time to let Jesus in to your house. Stop running from Church to Church, gather your family together, let everyone go down on his or knees; dedicate not less than one hour to family prayer every day. Do what Peter did by letting Jesus enter their bedroom to touch the sick. Bring Jesus into your bedrooms through prayer for where two or more are gathered in my name, I am there. Cf. Matthew 18:20.

Last Sunday, we saw how Jesus healed the demoniac simply by speaking. there is power in the spoken word of God. Today, Jesus healed the sick woman by TOUCHING. This touch of Jesus is not ordinary. In Matthew 8:3, Jesus touched the leprous man and he became well. In Matthew 9:29-30, Jesus touched the two blind men and they were healed. In Mark 7:33-35, Jesus healed the deaf and dumb by touching his ears and tongues. Does it occur to me that each time I come forward to receive Holy Communion, I get the chance of touching and being touched by Jesus? Do I receive communion with strong Faith expecting healing?

That evening, when Jesus was supposed to be resting, the whole town gathered around the door of Peter’s house. Note that Jesus did not get angry, he did not send them away. He made himself so available. This scene teaches us that God is never tired of hearing our prayers, He is a God of Mercy and Compassion; a God who truly cares about our wellbeing and is ready like a loving mother to give us the best in life even if it means bringing us pain in the meantime. Put yourself in the shoes of Job whose sad words are recorded in today’s first reading. Does it occur to you that God never stopped loving Job for once even while he was being tested?

The next day, very early in the morning while it was still dark, Jesus went off to a solitary place to be alone with God and pray. I ask myself: “if Jesus, the Son of God could maintain this kind of strong prayer life, why do I joke with prayers? Why do I become too busy to pray? Prayer helped to give Jesus direction and focus, prayer was his act of refuelling spiritual energy, prayer for Jesus was an humbling activity; it helped to prevent him from becoming carried away by pride and the applause of many who were receiving miracles and healing. Indeed, the saying is true that a prayer-less Christian is a powerless Christian.

When Peter arose from sleep, he discovered Jesus was missing and went out to ask people if any had seen Jesus. That was how he got to discover that the whole town was looking for Jesus. “Everybody is looking for you” Peter said to Jesus meaning: “Go back to the people, go and continue the work you have started, there are still many who are yet to receive healing.” But to Peter’s surprise, Jesus said: “Let us go to other towns that I may preach there also for this is why I have come.” In this way, Jesus stated his true purpose of coming to earth was to preach.

Indeed, the primary assignment of the minister is preaching. In Mark 16:15, Jesus said: “Go into all the world and preach the Goodnews to all creation.” No wonder we hear St. Paul say in our second reading today: “Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!” 1st Corinthians 9:16. Even in the early church, deacons were ordained so that the Apostles “will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word.” Acts 6:4. The minister who forgets that his primary mission is to preach has lost touch with his vocation.

Finally, a second look at Peter’s statement to Jesus calls for an examination of conscience. “Everybody is looking for Jesus.” Why do I seek Jesus? why am I in church? Am I simply looking for miracle, looking for material blessings; financial breakthrough, victory over my enemies, long life, healing etc.? If this is the case, I am not really looking for Jesus but trying to use Jesus to get to the things I need in life. And sadly this is the case with many Christians today who treat God like some atm machine or money doubler.

We are like the multitude who were fed with bread by Jesus and the next day came crowding on Jesus. Just as Jesus failed to give them bread the next day but instead spoke to them about the Holy Eucharist, Jesus “fails” us when our quest for him is purely motivated by material pursuits. Everybody is looking for Jesus, what about me?

Let us Pray: Lord Jesus, draw me nearer to you more and more that I my truly worship you not only in church, but in my home and wherever I go. Amen.

Happy Sunday. Be happy, live positive, it is well with you. Saturday of the 4th Week in Ordinary Time. Bible Study: Job 7:1-7, 1st Corinthians 9:16-23 and Mark 1:29-39.

No comments:

Post a Comment