Out of the Wicked Comes Wickedness.


Friday 24th January 2020. Read 1 Samuel 24:2-20, Psalm 57 and Mark 3:13-19.
 
_“And Saul lifted up his voice and wept. He said to David, ‘You are more righteous than I; for you have repaid me good, whereas I have repaid you evil… in that, you did not kill me when the LORD put me into your hands. For if a man finds his enemy, will he let him go away safe? So may the LORD reward you with good for what you have done to me this day.” *(1 Samuel 24:16-19)*_ 

Saul came out in search of David with three thousand men. Three thousand trained soldiers against just one small man. If God is on our side, who can be against us? I say Nobody. Who can battle with the Lord? Nobody. As the Psalmist sings:Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies.” (Psalm 23:4-5).

Unknown to Saul the very cave where he went to answer the call of nature was the same cave where David and his men were hiding. This is what I call DIVINE PROTECTION. Without any weapons, God simply put Saul into the hands of the innocent David. In truth, God’s protection is stronger, better and more sophisticated than the best protection the world can ever offer.

David had the opportunity to kill Saul but he exercised such a great deal of self-restraint. According to David, “Out of the wicked comes forth wickedness.” Meaning if he had killed Saul, he is no better off than Saul. This is the point Jesus makes when he said: “An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. But I say to you, Do not resist one who is evil. But if anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.” (Matthew 5:38-40) 

Dear friends, the greatest test of a righteous person is what he or she does when given an opportunity to retaliate a wrong done. Mother Theresa would tell us: “Be nice to people, not because they deserve it but because of who you are.”

When Saul realized how David spared his life, he declared: “I know that you shall surely be king and that the kingdom of Israel shall be established in your hand.” With this powerfully prophetic statement, David had unofficially become king of Israel. Sparing the life of Saul was actually a test which David passed. The big question now is: What would I have done if I was in David’s shoe?

Discipleship begins with mentorship. In today’s Gospel passage, we read how Jesus appointed the twelve, “to be with him and to be sent out to preach and have authority to cast out demons.” The part we often skip is “TO BE WITH HIM.” Whatever takes your time is exactly what you become. If we fail to spend time with Jesus, we also fail to be good Christians. When last did I spend over an hour praying alone? When last did I spend time reading the Bible and listening to Jesus speak to my heart?

Let us pray: Lord Jesus, give me the wisdom to rise above my urge for revenge and make me ever conscious of your powerful protection. Amen.

Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. (Friday of the 2nd Week in Ordinary Time: Bible Study: 1 Samuel 24:2-20, Psalm 57 and Mark 3:13-19).

No comments:

Post a Comment