Nothing is Difficult When God is Involved.

Homily for July 20, 2017


Words are powerful, they not only control our thoughts, they are also capable of controlling our feelings and actions. The whole world as it exists today is a product of words spoken by God.

We can define the type of future we desire for ourselves simply by selecting and controlling our vocabulary. As Christians, our vocabulary must reflect our faith. We cannot afford to talk like everyone else because we operate on a completely different level.

One word that we must be careful about is: “Difficult.” The moment we label anything as difficult, it is like we are giving it a command; asking it not to be easy any longer and surprisingly it obeys. Indeed, by saying something is hard, we send a message down through our spirit that completely paralyzes us.

This was the experience of Moses in the burning bush. When God told him his mission, there was only one word in his mind and this word kept sounding in his medulla oblongata - Difficult! Difficult! Difficult!!!

This Moses who grew up in Pharaoh’s house was too conscious of the power of Pharaoh so much so that he ran away from Egypt to Median for his dear life having killed an Egyptian. The question in the mind of Moses was: “Who could dare challenge Pharaoh? Who will dare to attempt such a difficult mission?”

At times, we become too conscious of the greatness of our problems that we completely lose sight of the greatness of the God that we serve. We talk all day about our difficulties and challenges and we never talk about the wonders of God in creation. We complain so much about our issues and we never take our time to really praise God who is very much up to the task.

Moses out of fear asked God for his name. He wanted to know what to tell Pharaoh. He wanted a name that Pharaoh would respect and obey. Just as I would jump on my feet and obey an instruction when my Archbishop’s name is mentioned. So God gave Moses a name - I AM THAT I AM.

If we really take out time to reflect on this name we would no longer see anything as difficult in our life. No matter how tough life may be, God is saying to us: “Don’t worry, just know that I AM.” I am here for you. I am here with you.

In today’s Gospel passage, Jesus concretizes this name by saying: “Come to me all you who are burdened by ‘difficulties’ and you will find rest for your souls.” Come to me. I am here for you. I am that I am. I will always be here. Your challenges will soon go away but I remain here. I can never leave your presence. I am here.

‘Come to me’ does not necessarily mean that we should visit a chapel or go before the Blessed Sacrament even though that is what it literally implies. ‘Come to me’ actually means: “Take Cognizance of My Presence,” “Become Aware that I AM.” “Look at me beside you.” “Relax, I am right here, even in the fire, I am still with you.”

So long as we can come to God, all our problems vanish like breeze. We cannot afford to call anything difficult when we allow ourselves become conscious of God’s presence. Don’t worry, I am.

Let us pray: Lord Jesus, may I never lose sight of your presence in the midst of my challenges. Amen.

Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. God bless you. (Thursday of the 15th Week in Ordinary Time. Bible Study: Exodus 3:13-20 and Matthew 11:28-30).

No comments:

Post a Comment