Heaven is not Cheap.

Homily for August 2, 2017


There is one song that carries the message of our Gospel passage this morning. It goes thus: You take the whole world, and give me Jesus… you take the whole world and give me Jesus… you take the whole world and give me Jesus… am satisfied, am satisfied.

There is another song that also brings home the message: My life time, I will give God my life time, my life time, I will give God my life time… if I give God my life time, he will take care of me, he will never let me die, I will give God my life time.

Dear friends, if we really want to get to heaven, then we must be willing to let go of everything we have. We cannot pursue material prosperity at the same time with spiritual prosperity. We cannot eat our cake and still have it.

A man found a treasure in a field and decided to buy the field. To purchase the field, he had to sell everything he had. Do I consider my spiritual life as a great treasure? Do I value my relationship with God? Am I willing to sacrifice everything else in this world just to remain in tune with God?

After speaking with God, Moses face shone so brightly that the people had to put a veil on his face. Do I realize this is exactly what happens to me when I spend time in prayer? Am I willing to sacrifice my time for prayer? Or do I allow other mundane activities occupy my prayer time?

Dear friends, heaven is not cheap. It deserves all our mind, all our heart, all our strength and all our soul. We must give all we can to the race. Heaven should never be secondary to us lest we miss it.

Let us pray: Lord Jesus, give me grace to get my spiritual priorities right. Amen.

*Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. God bless you. (Wednesday of the 17th week in Ordinary Time. Bible Study: Exodus 34:29-35 and Matthew 13:44-46).*


Fr. Abu. 

No comments:

Post a Comment