THE PRICE OF SACRIFICE. (Homily for SATURDAY of the 21ST Week in Ordinary Time, Year B. 2015).

Bible Study: 1st Thessalonians 4:9-11 / Mark 6:17-29.


Today, we celebrate a very touching memorial; the beheading of St. John the Baptist, a man whom Jesus referred to as the greatest person ever to be born of a woman. “Truly, I say to you, among those born of women there has risen no one greater than John the Baptist; yet he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.” Matthew 11:11.

In his greatness, the church celebrates both his birth and his death in two separate feasts, only very few Saints have this kind of privilege. While his birth was a thing of joy, his death which we celebrate today is rather a painful episode that call for sincere examination of conscience on our part.

1. THE BOASTFUL TALKATIVE.
Was Herod such a coward that he was ready to do whatever the little girl asked for? Of course, he was bound by the oath he had taken, but come to think of it, what if she had asked for his own head, would he also command soldiers to take it off and give it to her?

Anyway, before I condemn Herod, I must ask myself. Don’t I also make promises without considering the cost? Am I humble enough to say ‘I am sorry’ when I realize my mistakes? Am I not also driven by pride and willing to destroy others just to preserve my personal integrity? Don’t I kill others by committing or consenting to evils such as abortion for instance just to look ‘good’ before the world?

2. THE SPOILT CHILD.
Even the little girl herself, she had the guts to carry somebody’s head on a dish to her mum! Was this girl really a little girl as the story puts it? If she did not scream on seeing the head of John the Baptist, could it be the case that that wasn’t her first time of carrying people’s heads?

Again I ask myself, haven’t I also become so used to sins that my conscience no longer pricks me when I am doing wrong? What kind of things do I teach my children? Do I show good example to my younger ones and teach them to fear God and love their neighbors as themselves?

3. THE UNFAITHFUL SPOUSE.
Now for Herodias, what sort of woman would leave her husband when he is still alive and marry his brother! How come instead of feeling ashamed for her actions, all she could do was to begin to plot the death of the only man who was bold enough to tell her the truth?

But I turn to myself and wonder, how often have I taken correction from others with joy? Are there no persons I have stopped talking to simply because they told me the truth? Don’t I sometimes hate those who criticize my actions? Am I a faithful wife or husband? How many times have I broken my vows shamelessly? How often have I looked lustfully or committed adultery with someone that is not my wife or my husband?

4. THE DUMB SPECTATORS.
For the guests who were present at the party, is it the case that none of them had the courage to challenge the king? Was it the case that they drank so much wine that they lost their senses and watched how evil played out without even saying anything?

Don’t I see evil and prefer to keep quiet? Like these guests, do I eat and drink with evil people and therefore have lost the courage to tell them the truth because of what I am benefitting from them? Don’t I love to attend parties or go to bear parlours, club houses or other places where I sit with and drink in company of people with questionable moral standing?

5. THE QUEST FOR EROTIC ENTERTAINMENT.
By the way, what dance could be so entertaining as to make one promise anything? Even half the kingdom? Could it be that it was a nude dance as some Biblical Scholars have suggested?

Well, looking at the music industry today and seeing how artists are selling millions with all the sexually explicit dance steps and sexually loaded lyrics as well, it is clear these scholars may not be far from the truth.

Don’t I dance to music that I know is entirely against my faith and my beliefs? Don’t I also give away half my kingdom (of faith) by patronizing such immoral music? Do I prefer to go for such music simply because it satisfies my desire to see naked people dancing?

6. OBEDIENCE WITHOUT CONSCIENCE.
Again, what sort of guards would be told go and bring a man’s head and would go without questioning?

Don’t I also carry out orders which I clearly know are against my faith all in the name of protecting my job? Am I working for cultists, drug peddlers, armed robbers etc.? Do I treat others equally and do to them what I would like them to do to me?

CONCLUSION.
It would be very easy to condemn all the characters involved in this story of the beheading of John the Baptist but what good will it do, after all, none of them is alive to receive judgment but I can only imagine how our world would be a better place if we all resolve to stop beheading John the Baptist by repenting of our evils; repenting of our share in the continuous perpetration of sin in our world today.

Let us Pray:
GOD OUR FATHER, as we examine our conscience with this reflection this morning, we beg you to give us the grace to resolve to live a better life, the courage to speak the truth, the wisdom to teach our children right, the fear of God to avoid promiscuity, adultery, immorality etc., the humility to repent of our oaths, and the inspiration to produce music that overrides worldly music. May we never be so hungry or so poor as to share of the table of evil people or work in iniquity for sake of money. This we ask through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Good morning. Be Happy. Have Faith. Live Positive. It is well with you. Happy Weekend and thanks for your prayers and patience during this last week. God bless you.


No comments:

Post a Comment