LENT DAY 14: MY NAME IS LAZARUS, PLEASE LISTEN TO ME. (Homily for February 25, 2016. Thursday of the Second Week of Lent)


Bible Study:  Jeremiah 17, 5 to 10. Luke 16, 19 to 31.


My name is Lazarus, look at me very well, I am sure you still recognize me. My body was always covered with sores, look at the scars of the sores still on my body. Your dogs loved licking my body after feeding fat from your table. I was always there by your gate, and I knew you were always having more than enough to eat and drink because every day you had a party going on in this house. You were always inviting people to come and dine with you. You invited senators, governors and the richest businessmen and women in town for your daily parties but you never looked at me or invited me even to eat even the scraps and leftovers from your table.

I was just by your gate all day and you were aware of my condition. Each time you saw me, you pretended as if I don’t exist. You wished I could just disappear. You thought I was simply lazy or that I was being cursed for living in such an impoverished condition. You always blamed my condition on the government and everybody else but never saw yourself as capable of giving me a helping hand.

When I died, I went to heaven and was taken to Abraham’s side but your Oga also died and was taken to Hell Fire. From the midst of hell, he saw me and begged Abraham to ask me to dip my finger in water to cool his tongue. In life he had gallons of water to drink and waste and here he was begging for just one drop. And he couldn’t get the drop so he begged Abraham to send me to you to warn you. Even from hell, your Oga still loves you, he doesn’t want you to come and experience hell fire so I am here to warn you.

This is my warning! Hell is real, please do all your best to avoid it! Be kind and generous to the poor and needy. Whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers, Jesus says, that you do unto me. Don’t share your food only with the rich, also invite poor people to table. You should be ashamed that there is gross inequality in society, whereby you have so much to waste, whereby you even spray dollars at your occasions and people like me are scattered all over the place unable to eat even one square meal a day.

Above all, I want you to know that God sees everything that happens. All the while I was suffering and dejected in your gate, God knew my situation. Do not think that God is not aware of what is happening. For years I was there at your gate, God was giving you countless opportunities to change your heart and do something for me but you refused. I warn you before it is too late. Your Oga is already in hell, please that place is not funny at all. Just look at what Jeremiah says in today’s reading: “I the Lord, search the mind and try the heart, to give to every man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his doings.”

You cannot pretend before God. God sees your heart and knows when you are kind or cold to the poor. He knows when you fake charity by inviting television and media to announce your “good deeds.” And for those suffering, don’t worry too much about having food to eat, instead strive to enter heaven because it profits you nothing to gain the world and lose your soul.

Although Abraham told your Oga that even if someone rise from the dead, you will not believe, I decided to come all the same. Believe me or not, my name is Lazarus and this is my message to you!

Let us Pray:
Lord Jesus, may I always remember that nothing is hidden from you and that I will surely get the just reward of my actions. Amen.

God bless you. Good morning. Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment