Life is a Gift.

Homily for September 2, 2017


Just yesterday, upon the conclusion of our retreat, I went for First Friday communion rounds to the sick. In the course of this exercise, I visited a family that just lost its 9 year old child few days ago. As I listened to them talk about this little boy, while trying to hold my tears, one thing kept coming to my mind: “this boy could have been me oh.”

In our Gospel passage this morning, Jesus gives us the parable of the talents wherein a man upon embarking on a journey gave talents of different proportions to his servants and upon his return, demanded an account of the talents.

The man was quite disappointed with the servant who did nothing with his talent; the man who buried that which he was given and went about doing other things. This servant was thrown to the outer darkness as a punishment for not getting his priorities right.

Dear friends, life is a gift. None of us brought himself/herself to life and no one knows how long he/she will live. The number of days we have on earth correspond to the number of talents God has allotted to us. Some will live very long lives, some will not be so lucky. But then, the quantity of days does not really matter, it is the quality of that time that matters.

How old am I? How many more years do I think I still have to live on earth? Is there anything I can do better or is there anything about my life that needs to change for God’s sake now so that on the day of reckoning God will be happy with how I had invested the time he gave me to live?

Let us pray: Lord Jesus, guard my choices that I may use rightly the freedom you have given to me. Amen.

Happy Weekend. Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. God bless you. (Saturday of the 21st week in Ordinary Time. Bible Study 1st Thessalonians 4:9-11 and Matthew 25:14-30).

No comments:

Post a Comment