BE MERCIFUL TO ME, A SINNER. (Homily for October 30, 2016. Thirty First Sunday in Ordinary Time. Year C)

Bible Study:  Wisdom 11, 22 to 12, 2. 2nd Thessalonians 1, 11 to 2, 2 and Luke 19, 1 to 10.


If you recall last Sunday, two men went to the temple to pray. One considered himself righteous and ended up praying to himself. The other man, being a tax collector simply said: “God, be merciful to me, a sinner” and he went home justified. Today, we see another humble man, a chief tax collector who acknowledged his sinfulness before God when Jesus visited his house. And for this, Jesus said: “Today, salvation has come to this house.”

When we are able to acknowledge our sinfulness before God and express a sincere desire to repent, the gift we get is salvation. But then, it takes a deep sense of humility on our part to admit that we are wrong or that we are not perfect. There is always a tendency to readily cast blames to others. We believe every other person is the bad person while we are simply victims of other people’s crimes. Even we sin consciously, we accuse the devil.

Sometime ago, a group of Armed Robbers were caught and when asked the reason for their action, they blamed the Government for not providing jobs. They not only spoke good and correct English, they also proved they were second-class upper graduates and they seemed to have no remorse for their act of robbery. That is the classic attitude of most people and this attitude is quite offensive to God.

Zacchaeus had the very opposite attitude. He knew he was short and he knew he had short-comings, he knew that he was a sinner and that he had defrauded people in the business of collecting taxes. Yet, he did not push the blame on anyone else. He took full responsibility for his actions and he made efforts to get things right with God. He climbed a sycamore tree to catch a glimpse of Jesus.

Do I really acknowledge my sinfulness? Or do I believe that people or circumstances are to blame for my actions? Can I actually stand before God today and say the prayer of the tax collector: “Lord, be merciful to me, a sinner?” What efforts am I making to change? To climb the sycamore tree? To go for confession? Or to declare like Zacchaeus: “Half of my goods, I give to the poor, and if I have defrauded anyone of anything, I restore it fourfold.” Have I ever stolen anything in the past? What is stopping me from returning it today?

For declaring his intention to return stolen goods, Jesus said: “Salvation has come to this house.” The salvation we are seeking by going to church day in day out is actually very easy to attain. All we have to do to get it is to return today whatever we have stolen, to share our goods with the poor and repent of our sinfulness.


Let us pray:
Lord Jesus, be merciful to me a sinner. Amen.

Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. God bless you. Happy Sunday.

Fr. Abu

No comments:

Post a Comment