THE RICH FOOL. (Homily for October 17, 2016. Monday of the 29th Week in Ordinary Time.)

Bible Study: Ephesians 2, 1 to 10 and Luke 12, 13 to 21.


Wealth is something that we all desire and pray for. I bet you, no one likes life the hard way, no one likes to live in a manner so as not to know where the next meal would come from. We love to be assured of having enough both for today and for tomorrow. Most of the vices we commit regarding riches are purely motivated by the fear of not having enough for tomorrow. We would rather steal, defame or kill just to secure more than enough for tomorrow’s needs. But we do not bother to ask ourselves if we would be alive to witness the tomorrow that we are often so anxious about.

The parable of the rich fool which Jesus gave in today’s Gospel passage is not an isolated case far from reality, it tells our own story. I see myself in the rich fool whenever my account balance is down and I am finding it difficult to sleep at night as a result of this. I see myself in the rich fool whenever I pass by a person gravely in need of little help from me and I turn the other side.

Jesus would not be a judge in a case over a man who demanded justice from his brother over the sharing of their father’s inheritance. Yet, every day, I bring such complaints to God in my prayer. What Jesus would not do while he was on earth, I expect him to do now that he is in heaven.

Sometimes, I only remember to pray when I am in dire need of money and even while praying, all I am doing is calculating figures, thinking of the people owing me and the amount of money I have invested in various businesses or the money I am expecting from different sources. I even loose interest in prayer because my mind is restless and tensed. I claim to be poor, yet I am just a rich fool.

Being money conscious is a sign of living according to the flesh. It is a sign of a refusal to face the reality of death which can happen at any time. As St. Paul says to us through his letter to the Ephesians, “All of us once lived among them in the passions of our flesh, following the desires of flesh and senses and we were by nature children of wrath, like everyone else. But God, who is rich in mercy, out of the great love with which he loved us even when we were dead through our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ.” Ephesians 2:3-5.

Today we celebrate the memorial of St. Ignatius of Antioch, a classic example of one who refused to deny Christ in the face of persecution. Even while he was sentenced to feeding by lions in Rome and some powerful friends tried to “help” him escape, he resisted saying “I am the wheat of the Lord to be ground by the teeth of the wild beasts to become the pure bread of our Lord Jesus Christ.” When we live by the flesh, we are ready to do anything to preserve our earthly life even if it means to commit a sin. But we are encouraged today to live by the Spirit instead and be willing to let go of comforts, luxuries and even our very own life for the sake of the kingdom of God.

Let us pray:
Lord Jesus, free me from being money-conscious that I may live according to the Spirit. Amen.

Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. God bless you. Happy new week.


Fr. Abu

No comments:

Post a Comment