IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE YOUR LIFE, CHANGE YOUR SOIL. (Homily for July 20, 2016. Wednesday of the 16th week in Ordinary time.)


Bible Study: Jeremiah 1, 1 to 10 and Matthew 13, 1 to 9.


Once again, we come across a very popular parable in the Scriptures. The parable of the sower. Although, Jesus explained this parable himself, scripture scholars or even ordinary theology graduates like me are never tired of pouring out new interpretations all in a bid to make sense from this parable and apply its lessons to our personal lives. So please do not mind, if I proffer a new interpretation today.

Have you ever experienced a situation like this before; you read a page in a particular book and nothing seems to make sense to you only for you to pick up that same book again at some other time, read that same page and you almost start wondering whether the page re-wrote itself?

The story is told of a professor who was explaining something to a young man and as they talked, they drank tea. Then, the professor started pouring tea into the young man’s cup and he kept pouring even when the cup was full. The young man shouted, “why are you still pouring more tea, can’t you see, the cup is full already?” The professor simply explained that that was exactly his state of mind. When the mind is full of its own ideas, it cannot learn anything new. The young man got the point!

Dear friends, the mind is to a Christian what the soil is to a seed. When Jesus gave the parable of the sower, his real point of emphasis was not the carelessness of the sower who went about spraying seed anyhow. His emphasis was that there are different kinds of soils, there are different kinds of minds into which the word of God is sown. Even within me, my state of mind can change anytime. I may have a mind of good soil this morning since I am just waking up but perhaps maybe in the evening, I may graduate into a mind of thorns, worried about many things. This is why it is possible to read a book twice and it only makes sense to you at the second reading; it is not the printed words in the book that changed, it is your state of mind that changed.

So, if I want to change my life, all I need to do is to examine my mind and change it. What type of mind do I have? Do I have the mind of a youth like Jeremiah in today’s first reading? The mind of a youth symbolizes the mind of a person who does not believe in himself, a person with very low self-esteem who constantly looks down on himself. I may be a hundred years old, but so long as I have this kind of mind, I may not be able to achieve anything in life.

When God called Jeremiah, he had to change his mind first. God changed his mind by telling him that even before he was born, his name was known already. This beefed up Jeremiah’s self-esteem, he stopped seeing himself as an accident, a product of chance as some people believe they are. Jeremiah now had the mind that everything that had happened to him were divinely ordered. God again changed his mind by touching his mouth. This gave Jeremiah a mind of confidence to speak truth without fear.

What exactly is the content of my mind? What do I think I am? What do I honestly think I can achieve in life and what do I consider as are my limits? As children, we all had minds of good soils. We could dream, we often imagined or daydreamed of becoming this and that someday. We had faith in ourselves that we could achieve so much in life. We could dream freely because our minds were clean, our soils were not yet corrupt. As we grew older, we started bringing in impurities into our minds; impurities such as fear, worry, competition, bitterness and so on. We soon replaced faith with science. We no longer believed Santa Claus was real and because we discovered Daddy told a lie, we stopped believed everything we thought we knew. We now wanted to see first before we believe.

Our good soils became rocky, thorny and sandy. We stopped applying the manure of God’s words and daily prayers to our soil. We started pursuing money so viciously and violently that it became a god to our souls. Now the seeds of faith that were planted in us those days when we read “My book of Bible Stories”, the seeds of faith that penetrated easily when we studied: “Who made you, God made me…” have failed to yield the right results. Our lives are full of atrocities and unspeakable things. We have allowed the birds of the air steal those seeds away. We have allowed thorns of earthly material worries choke the seeds that wanted to grow. We have placed the hard rock of “seeing is believing” into our hearts.

It is not too late. It is not too late. I can still do something today. I can still change my mind, I can still change the way I receive God’s words on a daily basis. Yes, I can still change the way I allow the seeds grow within me. I can still chose to become like the little child I used to be when I really had a burning desire to become a Saint.

Let us Pray:
Lord God, to call Jeremiah, you changed his mind-set. Help me to change my mind today so that I can change my life and begin to bear the right fruits. Amen

Good morning. Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. God bless you.


Fr. Abu.

No comments:

Post a Comment