WHAT MADE MARY’S PORTION BETTER? (Homily for July 17, 2016. Sixteenth Sunday in Ordinary time, Year C.)


Bible Study: Genesis 18, 1 to 10. Colossians 1, 24 to 28 and Luke 10, 38 to 42.


Somehow our readings today are connected with those of last Sunday. The Good Samaritan saw a man left half dead on the road. Unlike the Priest and the Levite who prioritized their own self-interest over that of the man, the Good Samaritan actually stopped, forgot about himself, put on hold his own need to arrive on time at his destination and decided to minister to the man.

Today, we see Abraham playing the role of the Good Samaritan. He was seating in front of his tent trying to catch some cool breeze given the heat at that time of the day. He must have probably had his mind full of his personal worries, the top of which must have been the fact that God was yet to fulfil his promise of a child by Sarah his wife. But upon sighting the men, Abraham forgot about himself, he forget his own worries and ministered to their needs.

Even without the men asking for anything, Abraham went out of his way to provide for them. In the same way, the man who was beaten by robbers and left half dead did not say anything to the passers-by. He didn’t have the strength to call for help. Abraham was the one who ran up to the men and said: “My lord, if I find favour with you, do not pass by your servant. Let a little water be brought, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree. Let me bring a little bread; that you may refresh yourselves, and after that you may pass on…”

Honestly, I realise I am only kind when people ask for help. Even when I see somebody in need, I tend to wait for the person to ask first. I assume the person may not want my help. Sometimes, I fear that the person may even misinterpret my help or begin to read meanings to my sincere attempt to practice my Christian faith. Today, God is calling me to go beyond my everyday charity and extend my help also to those who do not even ask for it. God wants me to realize that there are times, the persons in need may not have the courage to come to me or ask for my help. Going further, there are moments God sends such persons my way as a test. I don’t think Abraham knew it was a test, yet by doing what he did, he won God’s favour.

The book of Hebrews says it all in Chapter 13, verse 2: “Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing some have entertained angels without knowing it.” It is not easy to show kindness to people I don’t even know, people from whom I do not expect anything in return but that is part of the cross Jesus invites me to carry if I must follow him. And the best way to do this is to learn how to forget my own worries. Yes, I must stop assuming my challenges in life are greater than that of anyone else. In fact, I must always see myself as an Angel sent into this world to help make the lives of others better. I must always put myself in people’s shoes, feel for them and feel with them then I can find ways of relieving their pain and secure many more blessings for myself.

Showing kindness and hospitality to others is important but what is more important is the ATTITUDE with which I do it. I may welcome one thousand stranded persons to my home, empty my entire bank account to provide food for them but so long as I am not doing it joyfully, so long as I complain about it, my kindness fails to achieve its purpose. God is not so pleased when I begin to grumble or compare myself with others while doing charity to others. It is for this singular reason that Jesus made this comment to Martha in our Gospel passage. “Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things… Mary has chosen the better part.” Luke 10, 41 to 42.

It is good enough for me to be kind like Abraham but it is a better thing for me not to complain about my kindness. Or rather, it is a better thing not to begin to announce my kindness as a way of painting someone else in a bad light. The reason why Jesus said Mary has chosen the better part is not because Mary was sitting down at his feet but because unlike Martha, Mary did not come complaining or comparing herself to someone else. When we look at Martha’s complaint, we realize it was intended to put Mary in a bad light; paint her as a lazy person. “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her then to help me.” Luke 10, 40.

Why is it that the moment I feel I am good, I start looking down on others? Why do I always assume that people are not good enough or that people are not as hardworking as myself? Just because I am busy going up and down, moving from house to house does not make me a better preacher than my fellow pastor who sleeps all day in his room. The idea is to avoid having to compare myself with anyone at all. I am not God and I do not know all there is to know so I cannot assume that I am holier or better than anyone else.

I may be kind, I may be a Good Samaritan, I may be the highest donor in church, I may carry the cross for Jesus, I may even chose to suffer persecution but the moment I begin to feel bitter towards others, the moment I begin to ask why my fellow Christians are not doing as much as I think I am doing, it is like I am spoiling my good works. It is like winning a gold trophy only to start covering it again with bronze. It is like wearing a white garment only to start walking in the mud. Bitterness towards others spoils my goodness.

Note that Jesus does not condemn Martha, he only makes her understand that by complaining; she is no longer at the top. The better part is the part where I work for God and be at his presence without ever putting my eye on others. The better part is that I find joy in what I do as a Christian, as a priest, as a married man or whatever my state in life may be. I may be a contemplative, I may be a secular person, I may be a religious, I may be whatever, but what makes my part better is that I am happy and content and I am not looking out for whether or not someone else is better or worse than myself.

Consider what St. Paul says in the second reading today, “Now, I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am completing what is lacking in Christ's afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the church.” Colossians 1, 24. It is one thing to suffer for the sake of Christ, it is a completely different thing to rejoice in my suffering. If I cannot find inner joy in offering myself as a sacrifice by helping others, then what is the point? Imagine that after Abraham received the men and while they were eating and drinking, he went inside and starting reigning insults on them, calling them gluttons and opportunists who came from nowhere to take his food away. Just imagine that. Imagine that as they were eating, he came and complained about Lot his neighbour who might have probably seen them but refused to welcome them as he did. Do you think the men would have been happy with Abraham?

It is not enough that I suffer for Christ’s sake, I must find a way to rejoice in my suffering. I must look beyond what people do to me and see heaven waiting for me. I must find a way to forgive people rather than carry an everlasting pain in my heart. When I pray, I must find a way to avoid having to report other people like Martha did. I must avoid having to paint others in a bad light like the Pharisee who went to the temple to pray: “God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income.” Luke 18, 11 to 12. Each time I do that, I am turning my golden trophy into bronze.

Let us Pray:
Lord Jesus, teach me how to find joy in whatever good I do so that it may actually count on my behalf. Free me from all bitterness and comparison with others. Amen

Good morning. Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. Happy Sunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment