THE SIGN OF THE CROSS. (Homily for July 18, 2016. Monday of the 16th week in Ordinary time.)


Bible Study: Micah 6, 1 to 8 and Matthew 12, 38 to 42.


The Scribes and the Pharisees came to Jesus requesting for a sign. They wanted Jesus to prove something to them so that they can believe. As much as they wanted Jesus to do something extraordinary, they were expecting to something not too different from that of the magicians and sorcerers of their time. Even though Jesus was not happy that they wanted to see a sign, he would eventually heed their request.

Jesus told them that the only sign they would get would be the sign of Jonah. That just as Jonah spent three days in the belly of the belly of the whale, he too would spend three days in the heart of the earth. In other words, the sign Jesus gave was the sign of the Cross? The cross itself became a sign to reveal Jesus’ divinity. As Jesus said: “When I am lifted up from the earth, I will draw all people to myself.” John 12, 32. 

When last did I actually look at the Cross as a sign? When I see the Cross, do I really appreciate its meaning? Oftentimes, I am looking for a miracle in other to confirm my faith but do I realize that no miracle could be greater than the miracle of Jesus on the Cross? Do I allow the Cross inspire me to believe that there can be no problem in this life beyond the power of God? Do I know as death could not hold Jesus down, no situation in my life can hold me down?

If you do not have a cross in your house, please go and get one today. Develop the practice of looking at it. The cross is a sign. It is a miracle. It symbolizes Faith, Sacrifice, Forgiveness, Hope and all the virtues you can think of. It is a sign that tells us the requirements of God for us as the prophet Micah explains: “Do justice, love kindness and walk humbly with God.”

Let us Pray:
Lord Jesus, may I not despise your cross but always look at it as a sign of your victory and my victory as well. Amen

Good morning. Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. Happy new week.


Fr. Abu.

No comments:

Post a Comment