VANITY OF VANITIES! REASON WHY GOD IGNORES OUR PRAYERS. (Homily for July 31, 2016. Eighteenth Sunday in Ordinary time. Year C.)


Bible Study: Ecclesiastes 1, 2; 2, 21 to 23, Colossians 3, 1 to 5, 9 to 11. Luke 12, 13 to 21.
 
If you still remember, the main theme of Last Sunday’s readings was on prayer. Abraham prayed negotiating with God to prevent the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah from destruction and Jesus gave us parables to illustrate the need for persistence in prayer. Today, we continue on the same theme of prayer as our readings present us with a clearer understanding of why certain prayers are not granted.

A young man from the multitude called on Jesus while he was preaching saying: “Teacher, bid my brother divide the inheritance with me!” The man’s request was a prayer. He was praying for Jesus to intervene in the family matter so that he can get his share from his late father’s inheritance. Usually, when people brought requests to Jesus, he would go immediately to solve their problem. He healed many who were sick and possessed and visited so many homes of people who prayed to him while he was teaching. So why was this man’s case different? Why did Jesus turn a deaf ear to him?

Our first reading answers this question. “Vanity of Vanities! All is vanity.” Even our second reading today adds: “If you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things are above, not on things that are on earth.” When my prayers are solely motivated by vanity and on things that are on earth, I run the risk of getting a response from God similar to that which the man in today’s Gospel passage got.

Jesus answered him saying: “Who made me a judge or a divider over you?” For me, this sounds like God himself saying to me: “What is my business in your personal issues?” When we examine what Jesus was preaching about just before this man made this prayer, we would see the reason why Jesus responded in this manner. Jesus was teaching about trusting in God’s divine providence saying that we should not be afraid of people; that even the numbers of hairs on our head are known by God; that we should always acknowledge God before men. The man was listening to Jesus but the only thing in his mind was property!

Is this not a familiar experience? I come to church not simply because I want to learn something new or because I desire to grow and improve my spiritual life, I come to church because I want God to give me my share of property, money, gold, silver or position that I feel I deserve. I have tried like this man to get my property but my efforts did not work so I come to church to get Jesus to follow me to my house and help me divide the goods. I know that if Jesus follows me home, my brother (which represents all those holding what is rightfully mine), will show some respect for Jesus and release my property. I come to church in other to use God get what I want.

And too often, I go home disappointed because God did not do what I want. My prayers are not heard because I worship the things I am asking God to give to me. I worship money, I believe in money, I believe that with more money I get, the more secure I am, I believe that if I have enough money, I will enjoy life better. In fact, I pray for more money so that when I have enough of it, I will no longer need God. I ask for more money so that when I get enough, I can finally become free from God’s numerous commandments and instructions and then begin to do as I like. God knows my heart even better than I do. He knows that I am not simply asking for money, he knows I am asking for his replacement so he does what is best for me. He ignores my prayers.

I am just like the rich fool in Jesus’s parable. Since I was a child, I have always dreamt of achieving so much wealth or achieving what economists call self-actualization. I have always dreamt of having lots of cars and houses that I wouldn’t know which one is which as Jean Wyclef sang. I have always dreamt of an early retirement whereby I would make so much money and I wouldn’t have to work anymore; whereby my money will start working for me; whereby I will be able to go to Golf Course leisurely on a Monday morning to play and enjoy myself while my numerous employees will be running through the traffic jams to labour and sweat out their life for me; whereby I can travel around the world, take breakfast in Hawaii, lunch in Dubai and supper in London.

I have always dreamt of making so much money so that one day, I would relax and say to my soul: “Soul, you have ample good stored up for you, just eat, drink and be merry.” In a sense, I am also a rich fool, the only difference is that I am yet to hammer! That is, I am yet to make the kind of money I think I need. But every morning I wake up with this dream in mind. I am ready to do whatever will bring me money and I believe if something is not making money, it is not making sense. Even going to church or praying to God has to be making money for me or else it is not making sense.

What is Jesus saying to me today? That I am a fool for having such a dream. I am a fool not just because my dream will never come true but because my dream has no place for God. My dream takes no account of the fact that my soul does not belong to me, that my life can end at any time and I must prepare for my death by living righteously. I am a fool for trying to replace God in my life. I am a fool when I act as if money is all I need in life.

Let us Pray:
Lord Jesus, I am tired of fooling myself. Please make me wise. Amen.

Good morning. Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you. God bless you. Happy Sunday.

Fr. Abu.


No comments:

Post a Comment