JESUS DESERVES MORE! (Homily for July 12, 2016. Tuesday of the 15th week in Ordinary Time.)


Bible Study: Isaiah 7, 1 to 9 and Matthew 11, 20 to 24.


In today’s Gospel passage, we can obviously see that Jesus is not happy at all. Why is he not happy? Because the towns where his mighty miracles took place refused to change their ways and repent. They had received the miracles without allowing these miracles affect their relationship with God and the manner of their lives. Jesus goes as far as saying that if the people of Sodom had been privileged to witness such miracles, they might have repented.

What does this passage teach me? When I go to church specifically to seek miracle, to seek God’s favours in my life and answers to my prayers, I must be ready to repent as well. Why do I keep asking God to change my situation (make me richer) when I am not ready to change from my sinful habits? Why do I challenge God to show me the extent of his power by giving me a breakthrough when that which is in my power to do, I refuse to do it? Isn’t it a shame that I accuse God of not been very generous to me when I am so stingy to him by my refusal to surrender my freewill and my body to him?

Jesus is not happy when I try to use him. And the funny thing is that He knows when I try to use him, I cannot pretend or lie to him. He knows everything. I use Jesus when I relate to him as though he was my errand body, I keep asking him to do this and do that but I don’t even listen to him. All I want to hear from Jesus is: “Yes, Sir!” Just as I use my house-help or my staff sometimes (by sending them series of errands without ever asking whether they have eaten for instance), I use Jesus when I don’t even try to read the bible or change my evil ways.

Jesus deserves more. He deserves better than being used and I know I am capable of doing more than merely demand this and that from him. Jesus deserves my worship, he deserves my total surrender, he deserves taking the position of Master in my life; he deserves the driver’s seat in my life. It is not for me to make him do my will (give me what I want), rather it is for me to do his will even if that means giving up my dreams, my desire and love for material success.

If someone tells me he is still learning how to drive, I will not sit comfortably in a car and allow him to drive me from Benin to Sokoto. No way. I will be so nervous in the car that I may suffer a heart attack. So I ask myself, why am I nervous in this life when I have sang this song many times: “All to Jesus, I surrender…” You remember that song? Each time I sing it, I sing it with all my heart. For me to say: “Jesus I surrender everything to you,” it means I am saying: “Jesus, you take the driver’s seat in my life.” Yet, why is my heart still full of worry and nervousness? It simply shows I don’t trust Jesus.

Forget the many times I have recited the creed, so long as fear lurks in my heart, it means I am not living by the faith I profess with my lips. I am just like King Ahaz in today’s first reading. I look around me and see two kings coming to fight against me, I see danger on every side, I look at these two kings and I realise that one of them alone has enough army strength to defeat me not to mention that they are two sets of armies now coming against me. But as I look at them, I forget to look at God, I forget that the God I serve created the heavens and earth simply with a word of mouth. I forget that when I look too much at Goliath, he seems too big but when I look at God, Goliath becomes too small in my eyes.

Dear friends, Isaiah tells Ahaz today and he is telling you and I as well: “if you will not believe, you will not be established.” If only I allow myself look at God the way he deserves, if only I increase my respect for him and stop treating him like some house-boy, then I would see that all my problems are just like pieces of sand to him. I would relax, seek first his righteousness and let him do the rest.

Let us Pray:
Lord Jesus, increase my respect for you so I will not only seek miracles from your hand, but honour you with my body and my very lifestyle. Amen

Good morning. Be Happy. Live Positive. Have Faith. It is well with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment